Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-24-2005, 07:14 AM

Default $22 - Middle pair out of the blind

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t575)
MP3 (t1065)
MP2 (t710)
MP1 (t1635)
UTG+1 (t700)
UTG (t830)
Hero (t970)
SB (t770)
Button (t745)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t30, Button calls t30, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero checks

Flop: (t135) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="red">CO bets t80</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero calls t80, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>

Turn: (t295) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets t150</font>, Hero ?

Dude hasn't made any donkish moves. His range on the flop is quite big, so I called. On the turn, not sure what to think. He's continuing with a 9 or a bluff.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: $22 - Middle pair out of the blind

I fold. If you call here I think you're going to be making another big decision on the river
Old 12-24-2005, 07:21 AM

Against 3 other players, I actually check - fold the flop. Definitely fold the turn.

I don't really see the point of check - calling the flop. You're OOP, without a draw. Did you have a plan for the turn when you called the flop?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:27 AM

Yes, but I'm curious to see what your plan would be if you call the flop.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:39 AM

Well, again, I would have folded the flop.

But if I was forced to call the flop bet, I suppose I'd lead the turn. Not a huge bet, just big enough to see if he's serious about the hand. Let's say 175.

But I really don't see the point in getting involved with middle pair, no draw, OOP, in a small pot in the first place.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but I'm curious to see what your plan would be if you call the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is why you don't call the flop without position. Now you have 2 options.

1. Check the turn, which looks weak and will almost certainly induce a bet from villain. In which case, you've got to drop it. You can't be calling down with middle pair.

2. Bet the turn, which doesn't help much since if villain has a stronger hand he won't fold and if he has a weaker hand he won't call.

It seems to me that the only conceivably profitable line for you is to lead the turn, hope he flat calls with a flush draw, and then check-call any river that doesn't make the flush. Unfortunately, he may also call the turn with a hand that beats you and then you're losing more money on the river.

IMO, at a $22 you can't back yourself into a corner like this against unknown opponents. Against a known weak-tight opponent, you could continue with this hand assuming that villain wouldn't even be calling preflop with a hand that has a 9 in it. But against random $22 loose players, you can't put them on a reasonable hand preflop and so you can't narrow their range of hands enough to move them off pots on the turn and river UNLESS you show strength preflop or on the flop.