Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-15-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: The Frogs

Also look for Wang Wei (699-759 C.E.), said to be a great master of Ch'an poetry and also T'ao Ch'ien.

-Zeno
Old 12-15-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Le Heil Hitler

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, you never can tell. There's no lowest point to this crowd's predilections.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nadir hasn't been reached yet? I feel fortunate. Please PM me when we scrape bottom so I can enjoy the show.

I try and elevate the plane a bit with some poet talk and see what happens. Of course, I pulled on the rubber band both ways in this thread. Balance is key. And no, don't make any snappy jokes. Too average for this crowd.

-Zeno
Old 12-15-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. And I hate the French.

[/ QUOTE ]
What'd I tell you, Zeno. No humor here at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a matter of that. I have a normal sense of humor, though I prefer more edgy jokes. I prefered the second batch. In general I hate jokes that consist of a fictional conversation in which someone ends up getting "dissed" (the dissed person is usually among a group that the joke teller finds annoying). They're just stupid.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:53 PM

I really don't know much about Le Pen, Cyrus, but I did appreciate the column by Taki.

Of course, what better way is there to stifle discourse and debate, than by hurling accusations of racism and fascism? I thought it particularly telling that Taki related how processions of schoolchildren had been organized to march calling for Le Pen's death. Somehow, even if Le Pen is all you say, it seems to me he isn't the only "fascist" in France--or elsewhere. Those who would squelch free speech and debate (as Le Pen was effectively squelched in France) seem to me at least as guilty of such things.

Is it possible that Le Pen might actually have a point, and that the cumulative effect of years of unbridled immigration of poor unskilled North Africans and Algerians is actually harming the country? Only those with completely pre-closed minds would dismiss the possibility out of hand, or refuse to entertain debate upon the subject. And that, according to Taki, is exactly what has happened to Le Pen, as the elite statists "shouted him down."

Maybe Le Pen is indeed a racist and a fascist; I don't know. But his calling for a lessening of such immigration is just common sense in my opinion--something that seems sorely lacking nowadays, especially amongst the insulated and politically correct elites that run Europe.

And besides, Taki sure knows how to write a column.

P.S. to Zeno,

Sorry if this has diverged from the light intent of the thread--I just thought you'd like some of Taki's columns, and your query about French cars burning made the column seem a rather appropriate fit (at least in that regard, if not in all regards).
Old 12-15-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The nadir hasn't been reached yet? I feel fortunate. Please PM me when we scrape bottom so I can enjoy the show.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

That show is currently playing at the Other Other Topics forum. Bring your own adult beverages and snacks. Viewer discretion advised.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I pulled on the rubber band both ways in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

More effective than trying to push on one.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a good way to introduce another jab at the French Failure
-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:16 PM

phobe...but that means fear, not hate
Old 12-15-2005, 06:18 PM

>>Of course, what better way is there to stifle discourse and debate, than by hurling accusations of racism and fascism?<<

This is a common tactic, so common that these kind of accusations and mischaracterizations are ignored and dismissed.

I think this has to do with the increasing irrelevance of PC, together with an increasingly media-savvy culture summarily rejecting such clumsy attempts to spin debate in this way.

All in all, a healthy development.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:46 PM

Zeno...

<ul type="square"> [/list]

And to those with their panties all twisted up...

<ul type="square"> [/list]
Old 12-15-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
phobe...but that means fear, not hate

[/ QUOTE ]
Those were the good old days