Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Is there value to being able to play multiple styles well?

Maybe this isn't directly relevant to this thread, but I would add that you absolutely MUST be able to switch between styles (and play each effectively) if you want to play well in tourneys.

More generally, I think Harrington nailed it when wrote: "you'll make the easiest money when you are playing the opposite of your normal style". IMO, that applies equally well to cash and tourney games.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4) How often do you need to shift gears (play include the level you are playing as I am interested in answers from all levels of play)?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can put a timeframe on this. I think it's better to shift gears in response to the changing table conditions. If a maniac sits down and starts lagging it up, that's a good time to shift gears. My style is TAG, but I'll tweak my strategy depending on the table conditions (e.g. heads-up with a donk, to the right of someone who's all of the sudden playing like a maniac, or really tight players in the blinds).
Old 10-26-2005, 11:51 AM

If you're playing TAG and a maniac sits down, aren't you already playing well? And shouldn't you change be based directly on his play, not in general?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing TAG and a maniac sits down, aren't you already playing well? And shouldn't you change be based directly on his play, not in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:50 AM

You should definitely learn how to play all styles. I play mostly TAG but I adjust to the game. In short handed games I tend to play more loose in late position as positional advantage is more important. If my table is full of rocks, I will start playing more loose and stealing more pots. It is generally best to play in a style opposite of what the other players at your table are splaying. I also have occasionally found players so bad that when they enter a pot I will enter will almost any 2 cards. The reason is, if I hit 2 pair or better, I have a good chance of taking their whole stack. I want their stack before they lose it to someone else. I also like to show a bluff against these opponents once in a while. This puts them on tilt and it is much easier to take their stack. I call these my fish implied odds.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Are there levels where a certain style works best or doesn't work at all? (Please don't link to Fimbulwinter's masterpiece or the FAQ, I am looking to generate some discussion here)

[/ QUOTE ]
At NL50 full-ring, I haven't really had to change my style (TAG) or switch gears much and my win rate is pretty good. However, this may be why I've been unsuccessful at NL100 (but that's another story). I try to find tables with players who don't know my style or don't care to notice. But there are times when I do end up sitting down with familiar players. They know my style. That's when I'm thinking meta-game, switching gears, etc.