Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Your attitude having a direct impact on your play and the cards you ge

go back in time 3 weeks, and I was in one of the best poker playing times I have had in the last 3 years. I won a bad beat at pechanga, moved up to 3/6 and was doing fairly well, my life outside poker was good, I had a good attitude.

Then about 2 weeks ago, non-poker related issues seem to be causing a serious amount of stress, and it seems to have translated into my game. Now I am a very laid back person, and usually I can brush things off and go with the flow, however, since I have realized that I have been under more stress, I cant win.

Its a combination of bad reads, getting bad cards, getting good cards with no help, etc. So it seems my frame of mind is directly related to not only my skill but my luck as well.

Has any one noticed this in their own game? Am I just over analyzing and just on a bad streak? Input?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 PM

Default nothing really special here.

High emotionality effects your rationality. When high emotions are being felt, the decisions will be based on emotions rather than common sense. It happens in love or anything else.

You see this in sports. In football, it would make more sense to have high emotionality because the game is not complex (unless you are a coach). It is a high energy game and emotion/adrenaline willg ive you an edge. IF you were playing chess it would suit you to have low emotionality because you wouldn't want emotions to be factored into your decisions. Poker is very similar to poker in that respect.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Your attitude having a direct impact on your play and the cards yo

Your attitude does not affect your luck because luck is fiction. However, there are two reasons why it might seem to:

-It could just be coincidental negative variance
-It could be that you're getting a "normal" mix of good cards and bad cards, but your bad attitude makes you notice the bad cards more, as well as taking it harder when your good hands lose
Old 11-16-2005, 02:21 PM

Default i dont agree...read post below.

nt
Old 11-16-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: i dont agree...read post below.

I don't see how your post relates to mine. Yours states why bad attitude can affect your play, which is true. Mine states why it can't affect your luck, which is also true.