Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Does your diet affect your game?

Max Pescatori wrote in cardplayer that he won't eat any red meat before he plays. I just ate hella red meat, and I lost my concentration in the middle of a really good run of cards. It sucked, because I couldn't get my focus into the game, and I didn't want to give my opponents any edge over me, so I quit.

Does food have an affect on your game?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Does your diet affect your game?

No, but water does. I used to not drink anything during games as I hate leaving the table, rushing to the johns and then rushing back to miss hands. But during a bout of the flu a few months ago, I was drinking 2 litre bottles of water every couple of hours and (to keep myself occupied) was playing online. And I found that my game really improved, even when I was playing without the flu - I was more aware of the other players and how they had played previous hands.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:59 AM

So, if water is good for your game, does that mean coffee is bad for your game because coffee dehydrates you?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:42 AM

Coffee is just bad for you period.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:30 PM

Your mental capacities depend on your nutrition. Your brain needs a certain amount of carbohydrates to work e.g. So a healthy diet can positively affect your concentration. Do a search for "brain food" and you'll find some material about that.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, if water is good for your game, does that mean coffee is bad for your game because coffee dehydrates you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The following has no scientific backing:

Drinking lots of water keeps your brain and body more alert than not drinking water. Eating lots of fruits and vegetables has a similar effect. Consuming caffeinated beverages will not make you more or less alert; it will just keep you awake. If you are having trouble concentrating because you are tired, coffee will just keep you at the table longer, without actually improving your game. Eating large amounts of meat before a session is likely to make you tired, as your body's resources will be required to digest your food.

I used to avoid drinking lots of water during a session, for fear of missing hands. Remember that taking a 3-minute break every hour or so is probably more +EV than playing a couple hands in early position, especially if you are drinking enough water to keep you focussed.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:54 PM

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I find myself losing focus when I'm playing online. There were many times when I've actually fell asleep while playing. I know it has a lot to do with being out of shape and diet.

Sometimes I eat a lot of junk food and pop while I'm playing but now I'm eating more fruit cups and just fruits in general. I find this helps a lot.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now I'm eating more fruit cups and just fruits in general. I find this helps a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

By what percent do you estimate fruit will increase my pimpin'? Fruit rules. I'm going to ask my Botany teacher about this. She knows a lot about food, and a little bit about pimpin'.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
now I'm eating more fruit cups and just fruits in general. I find this helps a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

By what percent do you estimate fruit will increase my pimpin'? Fruit rules. I'm going to ask my Botany teacher about this. She knows a lot about food, and a little bit about pimpin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would estimate 2%
Old 11-12-2005, 06:40 PM

Fish and raisins are also great brain-foods.

I wouldn't worry about it if you're for the most part eating right.