Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Card Rooms in Minneapolis?

so, speaking of minneapolis...

If I get this job, and I'm hoping I do - I'll be living there in a month or two.

My office would be in Bloomington on Norman Center Drive (at the 494 and 100 intersection).

How is the traffic in that part of town? I'll be doing some traveling as well so I'd be looking for semi-easy airport access and based on my very limited research to this point - it looks like I'd probably want to live somewhere south.

I live in Austin now which is ~ 1 million or so. For a town this size the traffic is absolutely horrific. Example - I live ~17 miles nearly all highway from my office and it regularly takes me 40-50 minutes to get there and back, often times closer to an hour each way.

I know Minneapolis is a great place to live with lots to do - I'd appreciate any locals feedback on where to live, etc... I checked the cost of living calculators and I couldn't believe that Minneapolis is higher than Austin, which is easily one of, if not the most expensive big city in Texas.

Thanks for the feedback though - I'll update the thread if it looks like I'll be there next weekend.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:25 PM

494 and Hwy 100 has some horrible traffic at the moment, as its under construction in order to add lanes to 494, so there should be some improvement when they're finished. But by the way you make is sound, the traffic still isn't nearly as bad as Austin.
As far as where to live, it all depends on what you'd like, downtown high rise apartments, small place in the city, plenty of suburbs, tons of lakes you can live on or near, etc.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:34 PM

thanks for the info...

Well, a house would be nice - but I've looked a little online and it will cost me at least 30% more to get the same value in a home there as I get here. I could do a townhome or condo, but I have a young son and a dog so square footage is a premium. We are in a 2000 sq/ft house now and are busting out at the seams.

I'd like somewhere that's a short commute but it sounds like Minneapolis has it's share of traffic problems as well. To compound that, when the weather turns bad I'm sure it just makes it 100 times worse. That's one nice thing about central TX - I'm used to playing golf on Thanksgivings and Christmas. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You can't do that too many places - certainly not in MN.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:10 PM

alright, it looks like I'm for sure going to be there! I get in thursday night and have interviews all morning and maybe part of the afternoon on friday. Hopefully, I'll be out of there by 3pm and can try to get to Canterbury before the waiting lists get too long.

I'd be interested in meeting up with any 2+2'rs if you are going to be there Friday.

Look forward to it...
Old 10-02-2004, 03:39 AM

There's a good chance I'll be there. If there's a $30/60 stud/8 game going, I'll probably be in it or bitching because I can't get a seat. The beard's gone, and I have different glasses, but I look a lot like the handsome young man in the picture at the left. I tend to wear T-shirts for various bands. Brian said he would never have recognized me, but others have.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:01 AM

Alrighty...

I'm in town (at the Sheraton on 495 and 100).

My interviews start at 9am and I should be done by 1:30ish, or so they say. I'm going to head over to Canterbury shortly after that. I'll likely be slumming it at the 3/6 game as I forgot to hit the bank on my way out and pick up a bankroll. So, I'm going to be limited to the little cash I have in my pocket + the $300 max I can pull out with my debit card tomorrow. Ugh.

I'll be wearing jeans and a green pullover - very short blonde hair and glasses. My name is Ken.

Be happy to meet anyone there!
Old 10-08-2004, 12:16 AM

I think I'll go with an all-black ensemble tomorrow. I think I'll go with the Dream Theater shirt, assuming it's clean. If the $30/60 stud/8 game happens to go, I'll be there, otherwise most likely $15/30 HE.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:16 AM

I'm possibly going to be out there on Saturday...most likely playing the 6/12 or possibly the 8/16. 15/30 if I feel up to it. Anybody potentially that day or is Friday (payday) the day of choice?

-Edge
Old 10-08-2004, 10:54 AM

There's a decent chance that I'll be there Saturday as well. I'm playing in a home game on Sunday, so I don't want to get too burnt out. Friday is particularly good because it's payday for the dealers, and they don't hang onto their money too long. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Actually, they get paid every other week, and I don't remember whether they got paid last week or not.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:57 AM

I will likely be there Saturday night too. Probably playing 3/6. Just look for the 5'10" bald 20something. I go by DJ D on the board.