Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: How do I make money through poker?

I do not have poker tracker or Poker ACE HUD or anything like that.
All I have is my brain, and the notes I take on my opponents in the site...

Is it worth getting Poker Tracker, or POKER ACE? Which one should I get? Should I get both?

Are either of these "illegal" and/or banned from the site (be it Party or Pacific, etc.)?

IMHO I think that if you let the information you get from Poker Tracker, et al. influence the poker
decisions you make at the table too much, then you will lose $1,000s had you not even had any "software assistance..."
There are, I'm sure, VERY SPECIFIC situations where the info. that say a Poker Tracker yields (I have no idea what they are, I have only read
posts on here - esp. in the Mid-High stakes forum here on 2 + 2) that can aide in making a decision - say, for example, identifying a player who lays down his Big Blind to a steal raise too often - which would cause you
to lower you blind stealing hand requirement slightly against this person, BUT,
IMO if the info.
you get from PokerTracker causes you to bluff off lots of chips to players Poker Tracker identifies as "weak"/who fold often to aggression (again I have no idea what the ratings are...
VPIP% I think I saw once - What's this? - I have no idea what this means or what any of them mean - It's all greek to me when I hear other players talking about them...), then you are losing a lot of money by relying on
this info. too much...and bluffing at "weak" players too often...

It is a fascinating idea having this info. though, I think they advertise as "having PokerTracker means having the book on your opponents."
Well, I know that I tend to be a "weak player" sometimes and fold to bets
correctly and I tend to avoid/shy away from HU battles ('cause I like
playing a lower variance style mosttimes...), so when I make a hand I AM COUNTING ON SOME POKER TRACKER USER INCORRECTLY USING THE INFO. HE HAS ON ME TO PAY ME OFF MORE THAN HE WOULD HAVE HAD HE NOT "had the book on me."
I think if you're an expert
player, it doesn't really matter having PT, but if you CORRECTLY use the poker tracker info. (which I'm convinced - without ever having used it myself -) that
achieving this correct use ("probably/most likely") is as difficult as learning how to play the game of Limit Hold 'em itself,
- If you correctly can use it - it only increases your win by a small amount...

But, a fraction of a
big bet/hr. at 30/60 on Party (and esp. if you are 2-4 tabling it), then wow - I see what all the fuss is about - PT is great and absolutley indispensible in that case - IF YOU KNOW HOW TO CORRECTLY USE IT that is... - is it easy to achieve this?
...thoughts?
Comments anyone?