Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Let’s take a few minutes on the couch.

Well first, any time you're discussing philosophy you're bound to get into it's biggest issues such as; the existence of God, free will, morality, meaning of life?, and so on.

But I must be missing your point somehow. Just scrolling through the last 25 posts, I see many original posts with religion or belief in the subject line. I don't see why you find it's mostly Sklansky bringing it up.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:47 AM

And how many are originated by believers?

Btw. Don’t get me wrong. I am glad David brings this stuff up. I find it interesting and “exercise for the mind” . I only used him as an example, because he was the Prime Mover. (The other OPs are often offshoots of his posts, too.)
Old 10-29-2005, 01:53 AM

Chez,

I’ll let slide the specifics of your analogy, because I know you well enough to know exactly how you meant it. And even more because you said this:

[ QUOTE ]
It says something about human nature but nothing very profound.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t get to Europe (hardly ever anymore) as often as I used to (numerous times). But, if I ever do, you are top on my list of folk to have a few English beers with.

RJT
Old 10-29-2005, 06:08 AM

"It takes a certain amount of logical strength to recognize when a psychological drive is affecting the way you address a position."

That is the most important sentence EVER written on this forum. Maybe ever written ANYWHERE. Which is why anyone who offers their take on any subject (that is not mainly a matter of opinion) that is controversial and emotionally charged, should basically be ignored if they are not well educated and/ or talented in logic/probability type concepts and puzzles.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:51 AM

In my experience I've noticed that most women are very good at recognizing the psychological drives behind many an assertion and they are also pretty lousy at logic.

If you restrict your comments to men (healthy ones I mean, with more testosterone than estrogen) then I can agree with it.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:03 AM

I'm going under the assumption that kbfc was talking about using logic to realize that YOUR OWN opinions are being affected by YOUR OWN psychological drives. I'm not talking about picking up those vibes about others. Still stick to your assertion about women?
Old 10-29-2005, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going under the assumption that kbfc was talking about using logic to realize that YOUR OWN opinions are being affected by YOUR OWN psychological drives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course he was, and he's right on that point. But it wasn't a particularly novel insight, a fact which undermines the case for it being the most important thing ever written.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:49 AM

"Of course he was, and he's right on that point. But it wasn't a particularly novel insight, a fact which undermines the case for it being the most important thing ever written."

Obviously. I was exaggerating. Its not even in the top three:

1. TOP

2. SSH

3. Bible

4. His post

5. HOH
Old 10-29-2005, 08:16 AM

I suppose the word "you" in his original assertion which you quoted can be interpreted a number of ways, so if you say you interpreted it that way, then I'm OK with it. My comment about women assumed a more general interpretation.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Of course he was, and he's right on that point. But it wasn't a particularly novel insight, a fact which undermines the case for it being the most important thing ever written."

Obviously. I was exaggerating. Its not even in the top three:

1. TOP

2. SSH

3. Bible

4. His post

5. HOH

[/ QUOTE ]

David, please stop backtracking. At this rate, by tomorrow, you're going to have my post behind such insignificant documents as the Magna Carta, Consititution, and No Child Left Behind Act.