Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Ugh, checking

Villain is very loose and passive, like 80/4/.85. I check-folded this river but hated it in hindsight. I don't feel I have a confident enough read to say if he would bet without a boat here, though. What's a better river line?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds.

River: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 05-12-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Ugh, checking

Ugh. I can't blame you for checking that river, but when trips are on the board, I've seen people play A high like it's the nuts. Getting 8.5:1 on that river call, you gotta call that. You'll see A or K high, or a stone cold bluff often enough. Hell, maybe even 22.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:53 PM

I think bet/fold is best. He might call with Ax to make sure you're not bluffing or even a missed diamond draw. However as a loose passive I don't think he'll bluff you often enough to make check/call superior.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. I can't blame you for checking that river, but when trips are on the board, I've seen people play A high like it's the nuts. Getting 8.5:1 on that river call, you gotta call that. You'll see A or K high, or a stone cold bluff often enough. Hell, maybe even 22.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't have said it better meself...it's a sanity call for me.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:55 PM

I like the check on the end, as it may induce a bet from an A or K on a diamond draw who wouldn't be calling. That said, I know I call getting 8.5:1; I think you have the best hand here at least 25% of the time.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:56 PM

Okay. Well, I mean check/calling vs. bet/folding is an interesting thing, because I don't think I will ever be raised here, and I don't think he ever folds a better hand. So I guess I might as well try to induce any bluff I can.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:58 PM

Call it, stone bluffs are very common here as villain says to himself "Wait.. I thought he had trips.. but it is impossible he has four of a kind, so I'll look like I have it... sucker!"
Old 05-12-2005, 04:00 PM

did you see villain's hand? there are people who would bet almost anything here after you check, b/c it looks like you were bluffing the whole time. without a read its tough, but i like the bet/fold line against a passive player.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:01 PM

I would check/crying-call the river. Considering the only boat you're ahead of would be villain's 22, you figure he's not going to call a river bet unless he's got a bigger boat or four of a kind. But you might induce a bluff if he's got A-high and he put you on a busted flush draw.

Although I'll admit, it sure doesn't look good for you when he does bet the river.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:04 PM

I like the bet fold to a raise line better.