Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Why should I vote?

Are you telling everyone that you don't care about one issue?

No, I'm not saying that.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:00 AM

While it is correct that you have the RIGHT not to vote, it is your civic duty. There are only 2 things, as US citizens that we are asked to do. 1) Vote for our representatives once a year and 2) Jury Duty. Ironically they are the 2 things people either dont do, or try to get out of. There is SO much at stake in this election, and two candidates who vary vastly. It amazes me how anyone who cares about their country could not vote.
That said, do your research. Dont just listen to what the candidates say. In fact ignore that. Put emotions aside and take an objective look at kerrys senate record (because he doesnt talk about it at all). Take an objective look at what bush has done in the last 4 years (because he will sugar coat it). Formulate an opinion, and act on it.
Remember, though your conclusion will be the "lesser of two evils", but the lesser of two evils is less evil.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Why I Have Rarely Voted

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore I will be voting Libertarian

[/ QUOTE ]

A Libertarian? Really? I could of sworn some guy named Cyrus said you were a Fascist (on several different occasions too). Oh well.

-dsm
Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you care about issues like this go out and vote for someone that is not anti-gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like who?

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Badnarik
http://badnarik.org
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While it is correct that you have the RIGHT not to vote, it is your civic duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well which is it, a right or a duty? You can't have it both ways. It's your duty to serve when called on a jury. It's your duty to pay taxes. It's your right to vote. And as a right, unlike a duty, you are free to choose not to participate.

Matt & Trey from Southpark were on Jimmy Kimmel the other night, and pitched an episode idea where the school would be voting on their new mascott. The possible choices were a turd and a [feminine hygene product]. So one of the kids decides, "Hey, if the choice is between a turd or a [feminine hygene product], I just won't vote." *GASP!* Not vote?!?!?!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:53 AM

Voting is a responsibility you have as a citizen of the united states of america. However, if you choose not to fufill your responsiblities to your nation, you have that right. This is symantics and I hate symanitics becaue it takes away from the important issues and boils them down into worthless conversations like this one.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voting is a responsibility you have as a citizen of the united states of america. However, if you choose not to fufill your responsiblities to your nation, you have that right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think someone uninterested or uninfomred has a "responsibility" to get the hell out of the way? If you were on the board of a big company would you go out in the street try to get as many people as possible to help you pick a new CEO? Or would you want the choice limited to major stakeholders and other board members actually involved and informed about your organization? Which scenerio is going to elect a better candidate?

If you're uninformed, *PLEASE* excercise your right--your "duty" perhaps [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]--to stay home and not vote.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:26 PM

I think someone uninterested should get interested and someone uninformed should get informed and go to the polls and vote.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite what some people would have you believe, the freedom to vote is also the freedom to not vote.

I'm glad to hear a lot of you say this. I was afraid everyone would give the, "It's your responsibility to vote!" line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised at all the people who are encouraging you not to vote. I agree that you should not vote blindly or without doing research and then making a choice based on what you believe is correct.

Another thing to consider is that the presidential election isn't the only thing that you can vote on. There are probably many state and local ballot measures that will have an impact on you and your community.

I'm not saying you have to vote, as others have already pointed out, it's your choice.

However, I think that you should spend some time researching issues. Maybe you can't cut through all the political jargon to make a decision on who should be president. But maybe you can decide if you want another Wal-Mart in your neighborhood, or if you want your local sales tax to be increased.

I agree with you that the process can be very frustrating, but I also believe that when I vote I'm not just changing things for myself. I'm contributing to the process that will affect other people in my community.

Just remember that if you choose not to vote, then you are relying on others to make some pretty important decisions that will (either immediately or in the long run) affect your life and people around you.

Many people aren't saying it's your responsibility to vote, but they are saying Vote Responsibly.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think someone uninterested should get interested and someone uninformed should get informed and go to the polls and vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is the more likely result of any drive to get more people to the polls?

A) The uninformed will get informed and vote responsibly.

B) The uninformed will vote without bothering to learn about the issues and go home satisfied that they have done the rest of us a favor.

If you chose A, I've got a nice bridge for sale.