Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 AM

Default Advice wanted for the \'last 20\' stage of a tourney

Been trying out online tourneys for a few weeks, reading the right books and studiously applying it. I'm doing pretty well for a newbie, placed 1st in 2 several-hundred hand tourneys.

Usually in these, I get into the money (typically top 50 or so), and if I can get to the top 10, I usually come 1st-3rd, so happy with my final table game.

However, I have significant trouble when I'm down to the last 20. At this point, the blinds are big, I've had the smaller stacks that'll be gone in 3 rounds or less (say 8000 with blinds at 1000/2000). It's a 10-handed game. Typically there's significantly bigger stacks around me, so likely to happily all-in me.

What do you do? I've been playing big cards (anything where both are ten or above), and Ace-rag (and would play any PP or suited connectors down to 54s if I got em) whenever I'm middle/late, but hasn't panned out. I'm all-inning with these.

Some sources say better to wait for good stuff and be blinded out than loosen, others say best to try and play with stacks that may still be a big dent to the other player if you win, and I prefer the latter.

Is my approach sound?
Any advice here?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Advice wanted for the \'last 20\' stage of a tourney

in your spot, I'd play the same cards, but I'd be more likely to play the short stacks then the big ones -

for example - I get AT offsuit last night - once I'm up vs a raise who has me covered 10 times over - I fold.

next time I'm up against a guy who I have covered 4 times over - I call - (he has Q8 and nailed me with an 8 - I ended up 15th...LOL)

in those spots, it's so dependant on my read of players and how they bet - don't just limit yourself to certain hands - decide to loosen up for guys that'll raise with Q8 offsuit or tighten up vs. big stack - but generally, I like your thinking...

and try to steal the blinds in LP if no one's in - even if your cards suck - keep em on their toes - LOL

RB
Old 08-10-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Advice wanted for the \'last 20\' stage of a tourney

Thanks bud, that's pretty sound.

Yeah, I can see I can sweat anyone where they'll be risking more than about 20% of their stack.

And it's nice to get some affirmation I'm not being a real tard in this spot.