Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 04:47 PM

Default 15/30 Small Blind Completions?

I couldnt locate a thread, but I'm sure its been discussed as to how loose you can be with the large small blind structure at 15/30.

Anyone got a good link/advise?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: 15/30 Small Blind Completions?

bumps
Old 04-18-2005, 12:50 AM

No links, but here's what I think is an excellent discussion by Josh W.:

A decent amount has been written about playing "Any two" in the SB of a 2/3 chip game. And, yet, I feel that not enough has been written.

See, the problem is...you are getting like 14:1 on your call. Even if the BB never ever ever ever ever raises preflop, that's not enough.

Sure, you'll win the pot more than 1 in 15 times against 4 opponents. But hands like this make the second best hand waaaay too often.

A friend of mine once asked me what hands I won't play in a situation like this. My response was "weak unsuited face cards". I'd seriously rather have 73o in this spot than K4o. Yeah, K4o will win more often, but K4o will also lose many bets waaaaay too often.

I was talking with a friend in Vegas during the WSOP. He’s new to poker, and asked about 'seeing the flop' in the SB w/ specifically Q6o (very similar). My discussion went basically like:
Alright, you may flop quads. That's a good flop. And, you may flop trips. Your trips will win pretty frequently (when nobody else flops trips, and any/all draws miss), but when they lose, you'll be barbequed. And then there's all the times you flop two pair.

You have Q6o, and the flop comes Q86 with two clubs. The only reason you saw the flop was because it was 6 or 7 way action. It's still 6 or 7 way action. What do you want the other two cards to be? You'll have to pound the bejeezus outta the flop and turn, and hope that nobody improves by the river.

Same with K4o. Gimme 94o instead. Then I can't flop top pair as easily, and I can get away from it except when I get a good flop (quads). But with weak unsuited face cards, you make the second best hand waaaay too often.

And what if you flop just one pair. If the flop was KQ3 two-tone. MP bets, and zero or one person calls. Now what do you do? Check/call the whole way? Push your weak hand? Nothing looks too good. And yet, if its heads up, you gonna fold top pair? That can't be a good habit to get into. And you're committed to being out of position.

I guess what I'm saying is, throw the crap away. Look, you even said that your 'timing' is off now. You seem uncertain of yourself (perfectly normal and expected). Well, make life easy on yourself. Don’t put yourself in a situation where there are no easy decisions.

Poker is easy right now. Don’t make it hard. Playing K4o out of position is hard.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:53 AM

I'm disagreeing here. getting 14:1 is only part of the equation. if you play good post-flop, even decent, you can make money from those odds with a 5 dollar bet playing *only* for two pair or better.

in other words, your implied odds take into account the fact that you are betting 5 and seeing 15 and 30 dollar actino in future round. 14:1 does not tell the whole story.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:19 AM

I think the hardest part about the 2/3 SB is when you are first in. Any thoughts on when you should fold, complete, or raise?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:31 AM

I'm with stox.

Tossing k4o in a 2/3 blind structure is simply retarded. In addition to the giant bets in future streets (relative to the $5 preflop one you're calling), you get the opportunity to make your fair share of steal attempts at the pot when it comes something like A66.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the hardest part about the 2/3 SB is when you are first in. Any thoughts on when you should fold, complete, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

raise any 2 against most opponents.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:51 AM

complete any two against two+ limpers is my general guideline.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with stox.

Tossing k4o in a 2/3 blind structure is simply retarded. In addition to the giant bets in future streets (relative to the $5 preflop one you're calling), you get the opportunity to make your fair share of steal attempts at the pot when it comes something like A66.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to be more inclined to complete with say K4o against one limper than against three, provided the one limper isn't particularly good, because it's much easier to steal pots or just win outright if you flop a pair.