Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Sklansky on Abortion

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky made an analogy to the state forcing a woman to have a series of blood transfusions to keep her infant alive. If the state can force her to do that, then could the state also force the father to give his infant a bone marrow transplant if needed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what a bone marrow transplant entails but I think the state can do that. I'm assuming that no one else can give the transplant and it will not kill or seriously injure the father.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what a bone marrow transplant entails but I think the state can do that. I'm assuming that no one else can give the transplant and it will not kill or seriously injure the father.

[/ QUOTE ]

The state (in the US, at least) cannot force you to undergo any medical procedure. Not yet, at least.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky made an analogy to the state forcing a woman to have a series of blood transfusions to keep her infant alive. If the state can force her to do that, then could the state also force the father to give his infant a bone marrow transplant if needed?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. And if they could, I'd find a new state to move to. Are you suggesting that you think it is OK for the state to force you to have surgery against your will? This reminds me of that movie "The Island". Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like it'd be good.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And why should anyone feel bad about someone exercising their "rights"? Shouldn't we be rejoicing everytime someone has an abortion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you rejoice when someone has a tumor removed? It is their right to have it surgically removed.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I hear about it, sure. You didn't answer the above question or any of the others. I'm disappointed.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:14 PM

Yikes. That was the post to which I meant to respond. Yours was the post I hadn't read.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:17 PM

While the state can't *make* you undergo surgery, they do force you to provide food, clothing, and shelter for your children. You don't have the right to deny your children those basic rights if you can afford to provide them. I fail to see how this same principle doesn't apply in the case of abortion.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of that movie "The Island". Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like it'd be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the credibility of your arguments vanishes...
Old 11-15-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of that movie "The Island". Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like it'd be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the credibility of your arguments vanishes...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It's got a "B" rating on Yahoo... that usually means it's somewhat decent.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And why should anyone feel bad about someone exercising their "rights"? Shouldn't we be rejoicing everytime someone has an abortion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you rejoice when someone has a tumor removed? It is their right to have it surgically removed.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I hear about it, sure. You didn't answer the above question or any of the others. I'm disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't rejoice when someone has to have surgery. But, I guess I'm jaded or something. I didn't answer your other questions, because they weren't directed at me. But, as you wish...

[ QUOTE ]
Can two parents, having just had their child delivered leave that child in the street and have nothing happen to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not.

[ QUOTE ]
The government forces a person to pay their former spouse money against their will. How is this much different?

[/ QUOTE ]

A fetus isn't a person.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We shouldn't feel bad that someone opts to remove cells from their body. But, I don't think it's anything worth rejoicing about either.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A fetus isn't a person.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it is. A link to the false assumption I think you're making.