Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Evidence AGAINST Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
You know as well as I do that there is NO other subject where you would bet even money on any other minority viewpoint analogous to the one above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the atheist understands that this subject is unlike any other subject. This is not to say that your point is invalid, only that the nature of the question is such that it mitigates the egregiousness of this inconsistency.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember that unlike the atheists on this forum, I say that God was the more rational choice up to about 100 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see how hypothesizing a very complicated unknowable as an answer to an unknow is ever rational. But, anyway... are you saying you aren't an atheist? Nontheist? Agnostic? You don't believe in god(s), so I'd call you an atheist. But, perhaps "nontheist" would be less confusing.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:10 AM

<font color="blue"> What specifically has occurred in the last 100 years to make Christianity less rational? </font>

DNA comes to mind.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It is ridiculous to believe that ulterior motives would drive so many people away

[/ QUOTE ]

This goes to the very heart of human nature. I've quoted extensively from the Bible on this point. We have an irreconcilable difference. There's really no debate possible as the Bible is crystal clear on this. Unbelievers suppress the truth which God reveals to them, they love the darkness rather than the light, no one seeks for God, no one is righteous, all have sinned. It's one of the top four or five doctrines of the Bible. The problem man has is not intellectual, it is ethical, moral, spiritual. It isn't even in the same ball park with other questions of intellectual concern such as science, math and logic.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

DNA comes to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does that make Christianity less rational? Some think it helps the ID argument.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. The smarter the person, the less likely he is to be a Christian.

2. Because the world's major religions believe share opposing beliefs, each is an underdog to be right.

These are powerful arguments against the specific beliefs of any religion.

[/ QUOTE ]
You still haven't given any reason for believing that these two statements are valid. It's just your opinion, David.

[ QUOTE ]
I resort to those arguments a lot because I'm not knowledgeble about any religions specifics.

[/ QUOTE ]
My point exactly. You're misleading a lot of people who assume that you are.

[ QUOTE ]
When you claim that if I studied Christianity I would change my mind I can't prove you wrong because I'm not going to go to the trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]
What if I'm right?

[ QUOTE ]
But you are at least 99.999% to be wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you know?

NotReady's doing a fine job handling the other points raised in this thread.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 AM

"I believe the Bible to be 100% true, word for word."

Doesn't the New Testament consit of four Gospels, some of which contradict each other in places?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The God of the Bible is absolutely the LAST God any sinner in his right mind would invent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nietzsche has written extensively on this subject and already explained how this kind of God is EXACTLY the kind of God the powerless would create, for it levels the playing field and reduces all men to insignicance and unworthiness, and raises the believers (the powerless in society) to be the chosen people who will one day gain all the riches of heaven while their oppressors burn in hell for eternity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why has NotReady ignored this post? It's by far the most interesting one in the thread. (Not surprising considering its inspiration! Nietzsche = teh pwn.)
Old 11-01-2005, 05:43 AM

"This goes to the very heart of human nature. I've quoted extensively from the Bible on this point. We have an irreconcilable difference. There's really no debate possible as the Bible is crystal clear on this. Unbelievers suppress the truth which God reveals to them, they love the darkness rather than the light,"

Your including Jews, Muslims, Mormons and Hindus in this I assume.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:47 AM

1. The smarter the person, the less likely he is to be a Christian.

2. Because the world's major religions believe share opposing beliefs, each is an underdog to be right.

These are powerful arguments against the specific beliefs of any religion.

You still haven't given any reason for believing that these two statements are valid. It's just your opinion, David.

Did you mean to say "true" rather than valid? In any case the second statement is obviously both.