Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 01:41 AM

Default a LAG keeps re-raising pot without looking at his cards.

In a home game tonight I came across a very interesting situation. We are five handed playing .10/25 cent pot-limit hold-em or Omaha. Villian is a complete donk maniac and has had to rebuy (25 dollars) three times from hands he has lost to me. Some background info on villian. I am his superior at work and he is constantly trying to prove that he is better then everyone at any giving task. It could be foosball, our profession, any current topic of discussion, and once a week, it's poker. He's not an ass about anything, just always trying to best everyone in any given task/situation/conversation. This should be enough background about villian and his motivations. If anyone needs more please let me know.

As for the hand, I am on the button and dealt A Q and raise the pot making it a 1.50 to go. Villian, re-raises without looking at his cards. Everyone folds and I call. Flop comes rainbow 2, 4 5. He pot bets. I re-raise pot and he re-raises back. This is where I instanly made the decesion to keep re-raising until he is all in. The turn is a queen and the river a king. Knowing you are ahead pre-flop against any random two cards did I do the right thing when I missed. Or should I have just laid it down on the flop. I knew I was gambling, but I had every right to think I was ahead. It was a very interesting hand.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: a LAG keeps re-raising pot without looking at his cards.

Why would you wait until you missed the flop to set him in? Preflop, you are almost a 2:1 favorite over a random hand. After you miss the flop, you are only 53:47 against a random hand.

By the way, the stacks are too shallow for the number of pot-sized bets and raises you described.

I don't think this is a psychology problem at all.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: a LAG keeps re-raising pot without looking at his cards.

According to pokerstove, you are only a 52% favorite on the flop against a random hand.