Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Big Slick, Big Blind

No solid reads on villian. My impression is that he is subpar (kind of like me in this hand). 2nd limper in the hand was a big fish and was the primary reason I raised PF, although he ended up folding to my PFR. We're both deep stacked.

.50/$1 NLHE Full Table, 7-handed

Preflop: Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
2 folds, Villian calls $1, Big Fish calls $1, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5, Villian calls $4, Big Fish folds.

Flop: ($11) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero bets $8, Villian raises to $16, Hero calls.

Turn: ($42) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero bets $20, Villian raises to $40, Hero calls.

River: ($120) T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero checks...

Comments on all streets welcome. Variations welcome. Beration and flaming optional.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Big Slick, Big Blind

I don't know how "standard" it is, but I almost always just complete/check on sb/bb with AK because I hate playing it OOP in a big pot. This hand is a pretty good example of this IMO.

Edit: As for the rest of the hand I have no idea. I don't like any options here really... check/call turn and/or block river?
or bet/fold turn
Old 10-22-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how "standard" it is, but I almost always just complete/check on sb/bb with AK because I hate playing it OOP in a big pot. This hand is a pretty good example of this IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. I also generally just check it, but here it isn't a bad idea to limit the number of players. Also, it makes it a bit easier to play postflop. As in, I think you can find a fold on the turn, since he is not slowing down, and you have shown four times now that you like your hand a lot. He likes his better. This might be more difficult to play if you haven't shown that you like your hand a lot.

-T
Old 10-22-2005, 02:01 PM

Preflop I like. AKs is a monster hand and deserves a raise for value even OOP. The fact that there is a fish with money already in the pot simply sweetens the raise.

Flop, I'd lead for $11, to force the flush draw (although its probably not out there with the A and Q gone) and to ideally take the hand down here. The min raise is horrible to see, its either a tester or a monster, I like the call provided......

Turn
.....You lead the the turn, personally I'd go for $25 but meh. Now he knows you're serious about the hand. I can't give a player I've little read on credit for having the stones to MR twice with a poor hand. He loves whatever he holds and you fold in digust. Althought you're geting good odds even if you hit your K you've completed straights and possibly a flush. You've no idea if an A helps you or gives him a full house. Theres also a huge chance you'll have to face another bet on the river.

River.

Check is right. Call $40 or less.

Unpleasent hand all round but I think he has AQ/A9/99/
Old 10-22-2005, 02:03 PM

Are you calling a 2/3rd PSB on the river? Is this a c/f?

I usually play it the same you do. bet/call/lead a blank turn. Villan's mini-raising is very quirky. An alternate line you might have taken was check/call the turn and block the river. I don't know how effective it would have been though, given villan's mini-raising.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:06 PM

The turn bet is effectively a blocking bet and it got promptly raised. I see nothing to suggest a river bet wouldn't be treated the same way.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:17 PM

I dont like the turn bet for only half pot. I think a check raise on the turn is a stronger play than leading for only half.

If the c/r gets called i think you have to check fold the river.

If you get reraised on the c/r then fold.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:28 PM

do u think u r ahead on the turn? i cant think of a likely hand that u r ahead of besides a flush draw. i think i either treat my turn bet as a blocker and fold, or c/c the turn and block the river.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually play it the same you do. bet/call/lead a blank turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this play as well, it is the line I will usually take. But I think if you do take this line, then you probably need to fold when he raises a blank turn, barring some read to the contrary.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. My thoughts: I don't mind checking from the BB with AK. Here though I decided to raise it envisioning villian folding and Big Fish calling with any two. Worked the opposite, but I didn't mind.

I'm betting $8-$11 on the flop there always. Mixing it up a bit, chose $8 HU. Minraise could be coming from a club draw or JT, so I call and lead the turn. Comments about the turn bet being a blocker seem like good advice. I should find a fold there, as it's obvious with the 2nd m/r he doesn't have a draw.

Curiously, he checked behind on the river (fearing AA from me I suppose) and showed QQ?!? and MHING.