Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Push this flop?

Absolute Poker $.50/$1 NL 6 max

Important stacks

LAG BB $435.28 in chips
HERO MP $69.15 in chips

Hero - Pocket [K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

a couple of Folds
Hero - Raises $1 to $4
LP - Calls $4

LAG BB - Raises $3 to $11
HERO - Calls $7
LP - Calls $7

*** FLOP [J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] ***

LAG BB - Bets $16
Hero - ??????????????
Old 08-09-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Push this flop?

<font color="white"> storyboard copyright popinjay </font>
Old 08-09-2005, 11:34 PM

Push that flop.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:29 AM

I guess I don't quite understand why everyone here seems to advocate pushing these kind of flops. Why not flat call and get the money in on the turn? I might even get an overcall from the LP guy.

If he's got a set, he'll call anyway and I'm about a 2-1 dog. If he's got a small pocket pair, (or crap )he'll most likely fold to my push and I'm a 2-1 fav anyway. If he has AA/KK its about even.If he flopped a straight, he's about a 55/45 fav and the possible dead money from an overcaller makes up for it.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I don't quite understand why everyone here seems to advocate pushing these kind of flops. Why not flat call and get the money in on the turn? I might even get an overcall from the LP guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you just call, you've committed almost half your stack to this hand. You're not folding, so you might as well push. There's a chance he might fold (which isn't bad since you're only on a draw). But I don't mind if he calls since he's a LAG.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both plays have their merits. You presumably know why you think calling is good, already, so here are a few advantages to pushing:

1) Your hand is worth WAY more on the flop than on the (usually blank) turn. You may have to fold the turn if you miss and the other guy fires large.

2) Most cards that make your hand on the turn will look scary as hell to your opponents, so you may have trouble extracting more money from them at this point.

3) If you just call you don't give them a chance to fold a hand that is better than yours right now.

4) You miss out on a bit of image benefits. Once they see you push draws a bit you can start pushing some sets on this kind of board and you will be more likely to get calls from much weaker hands.

5) Pushing is more fun than calling.

...and in this particular case, Hero is too shortstacked to play based on implied odds.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:37 AM

Pushing is not unreasonable here, and hope he isnt playing JJ !
He probably calls you with QQ, also.

How lag is lag ? He just reraised from the blinds - is he lag enough to do this with piles of rubbish ... or are you expecting AA-QQ/AK here ?