Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Question on continuation bets

I did try to search for this, as I'm sure it's been discussed before, but not much there.

What percentage of the time do you c-bet? What boards/cards/situations should you not do it with? I have recently started to do it more often and it seems to be working pretty well.

And the big question: What if you c-bet with just overcards and get called? What's your turn action, both in position and OOP? This is the best example I could find, since I've only had PT for 2 days.

Villain is 58/14.6/0.58 over 50 hands.

Party Poker 50NL Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($48.25)
CO ($48.32)
Button ($26.60)
SB ($31.65)
BB ($47.55)
UTG ($52.63)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, SB calls $3.

Turn: ($10.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???
Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Question on continuation bets

I have trouble with this situation too.

whats he calling you with, TJ A9 98 9T a medium PP of some sort, overcards as well?

i personally am checking the turn since you are in position. but i suck so wait for smarter members to comment.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:06 PM

You might be ahead, but check and take your free card.

If he bets the river it's decision time, based on the hands he's previously played.

Ryan
Old 11-17-2005, 11:49 PM

When you open pre-flop with a standard 4BB bet you represent a strong hand. Depending on your image or stats that others will have this could be a BIG Pair if your tight or JTs if you're loose. Since you represented a big hand pre-flop your opponents can't tell if you have AA, KK, AK, or 76s. The purpose of the CB is to honor the commitment you made pre-flop to fire at almost any flop.

A typical flop will contain an A or a paint and two rags. There may or may not be a draw. When the flop is draw heavy you want to put players on notice that they have to pay to draw against your KK. You will pick up a lot of pots right here.

Of course you will ck a straight flop or a mono flop, unless you have the A, in which case you bet.

Any player that checks and calls a CB may have a monster.

In your example the board showing trips is actually good. You never fear quads, so SB either has to have a PP to call you flop bet or a str8 draw. Which is it? Depends. How good is the SB? Does he know that it's incorrect to call a standard raise from SB when he could easily be HU? (Drawing hands want a multi-way pot). If so, then he's got a PP. How big? He could also have something like A8s.

Here it's pretty simple. Check behind and see a free card. This also induces a bluff, so you could be setting a trap. SB has to act first, so see what happens. In this case you might call a small bet, but I probably fold with my dignity intact, and I avoid showing what an idiot I was to raise with AJo.

A CB can mean a lot of different things to different players. I find it extremely useful to keep note of CB and min-raise, pre and post flop.

My notes look like this:

CB:: No = Miss, weak, or OC (Overcard, as in an A flops and he has KK).

CB:: Std 1/2 + Ck = Miss (Made CB and checked the turn)
CB:: PSB = Monster

The point of this is you don't have to make a CB if you open with KK and flop comes A93r. But, if you check I'm going to fire a shot and represent that Ace you're concerned about.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:34 AM

i would bet 6 on the turn, and fold to a re-raise
if he calls it, and checks to you on the river check behind him
i was in this same situation today and lost to Quads, dont go all in on the river, even if you have the full house
Old 11-18-2005, 01:42 AM

Sorry, I don't think there is a clear answer. A good player changes gears often in a session. First, it depends what the board portrays. Secondly, it depends on what hand you put your opponent on and the likelyhood he will fold. Hopefully you are not just firing blindly. Try to estimate the percentages he will fold.

On the hand below a check is in order. First he called you with something, Draw?...mabey. He was probally most scared on the flop with two nines and he still called. With the 3rd 9 it is that less likely you have a 9, so he is likely to call your bet with any med pp. If he checks the flop it is safe to bet again. Anyone care to comment.