Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Default New Beverage

tried a new beverage yesterday. Lunch at a Basque restaurant ideally entails a glass or two of a spanish red, one of the good cheap tempranillo based wines from the region that go well with the food. After one glass I saw a couple of people drinking something I had heard discussed, but never tried. So I tried my first kalimotxo. Red wine and coke over ice. Didn't know what to expect. Anybody a fan of these? I think I will lean toward continuing to drink my red wine straight, but it was worth a try. I do suggest it to those with casual Basque restaurants handy if you want something cold.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: New Beverage

I ate at a good Basque restaruant in Reno a few years ago but didn't have any wine - silly me. I was going to play poker afterward. Anyway, it was 'family style' you sat at a table with other people but ordered your own. Set up was 5, 7, or 9 course meals I think. Great food and a fun way to have dinner. Also ate at a very good Basque place in Winnemucca, Nevada a long time ago. There are many Basque in Southeastern Oregon, their are obviously some in Idaho but I didn't think that many.

I like the name Kalimotxo so I will have to try this drink sometime.

-Zeno
Old 08-14-2005, 03:39 PM

I cannot say I've had that, sounds kind of gross but, I did find a new drink that is delicious, soco and cherry slushy. All I can say is amazing, you can dump half the bottle in and it is still as delicious as just a slushy on a hot day.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:45 PM

I tried a new beverage too. I got a large drink at Einstein's, and then went over to the soda dispenser and put in a quarter diet coke, quarter cherry coke, quarter sprite, and quarter orange soda. It was pretty delicious.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:48 PM

dr. pepper
Old 08-14-2005, 05:19 PM

my favorite drink is called tinto con limon. It's red wine mixed with lemon soda. You can also make similar drinks using orange soda but my favorite is lemon.

got pretty addicted to them in Sevilla.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:34 PM

No, lotta Basques in Idaho. All through the sheep regions in N. Nevada, S Idaho, and as you mentioned Oregon. Many came, mostly from Bizcaya I think, early in the 20th century and went into the sheep business, as well as farming and other ranching.

It is a mistake to avoid the wine at a Basque restaurant. It isn't booze, just food and doesn't count in your booze quota. You shoulda imbibed. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 PM

Michael Jackson calls this Jesus Juice.