Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Hey Zee - Pool Stories Needed

I'm still trying to understand all of the rules of the 14.1. I googled for the rules but it reads like a Law school text book. So the rules as I understand them are you just have to pocket a ball (into a called pocket) until you miss but you don't have to go in order like 9 ball, correct? Now after you make all but one ball, you rerack the pocketed balls and then you must make the last ball and on the same stroke break up the rack and then continue? Is that all there is?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:43 AM

Yes basically. The only time things get confusing is when the cue ball and 15th object ball are left in the rack after the 14 balls are made. There is that chart for what to do. General rules of pool apply, i.e. driving a ball to a cushion, etc... You don't have to go in order - it isn't a rotation game. It is a great game.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:48 AM

Sounds right but I dont think you have to pocket the last ball before breaking the reracked balls. This form of play is also called "Straight Pool".
Old 02-21-2005, 12:05 PM

so if you don't have to make the last ball, do you have to make one on the break to continue?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:18 PM

All balls must be called. So if you can pick one out of the rack and call it, fine. But you don't just get to smash into the rack and take whatever ball falls and keep going like in open break games such as 9 ball. If you make the ball you call, any others on the stroke count. So let's say you leave a break ball, make it and get into the rack, any balls that go count since you made your called ball. Often if you get out of line on the break shot you will call a safety, make the 15th ball, and have it spot. So the opponent has a shot at the rack. He will then try to play safe by just glancing off the rack usually. You don't want to bust the balls open for the opponent. You can always play any ball at any time. So you can hit the rack instead of the 15th ball. And maybe you have to if you leave yourself in a horrible position. But you still don't want to smash the rack apart unless you are the one who gets to shoot at the loose balls.

Also whe I say call the ball, it isn't like how people in bars sometimes say you have to do it. All you have to do is call the ball and pocket. You don't specify how it gets there. Combos, caroms, etc... are all fair game.