Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 AM

Default I hate this fold, thoughts?

Villain in this hand is 29/7 or so with high post flop agression (4 or 5). What do you guys think about this fold...with his stats I can't see him calling the raise with anything that has a 2 in it...could he have called the flop bet with 66 or something? Either way I folded, but I can see myself being ahead of a lot of hands he might do this with...when he did it my first thought was that he's semi-bluffing a flush draw that didn't hit on the turn...I just wasn't sure and folded anyway, thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($98.81)
Hero ($50.32)
CO ($46.80)
Button ($83.90)
SB ($64.10)
BB ($14)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, CO calls $3.

Turn: ($10.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, CO calls $41.80 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $60.55
Old 12-07-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: I hate this fold, thoughts?

Well, you represented an ace and villain just told you he didn't care. Unless I've seen him pull this stunt before, I'm folding. What hands other than a bluff are you ahead of? AJ, AT? If villain is this loose, just trap him later.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, you represented an ace and villain just told you he didn't care. Unless I've seen him pull this stunt before, I'm folding. What hands other than a bluff are you ahead of? AJ, AT? If villain is this loose, just trap him later.

[/ QUOTE ]

well the thing is i'm having a hard time putting him on something. What did a 29/7 player call with perflop that i'm not ahead of? This guy isn't calling raises with j2 offsuit.....I guess i'm just having a tougher than usual time putting him on something here, which is why I think I might have folded the best hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well the thing is i'm having a hard time putting him on something. What did a 29/7 player call with perflop that i'm not ahead of? This guy isn't calling raises with j2 offsuit.....I guess i'm just having a tougher than usual time putting him on something here, which is why I think I might have folded the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many hands do you have on him? A 29/7 is playing any sooted A so I would say A6, 66, AK, AJ, AQ or A2 (in that order) are his most likely holdings. Otherwise he is on a bluff. If he is prone to throw his in his stack to capture pots then wait him out. Why call with a marginal holding.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:38 AM

yeah I know..that's why I folded...this feels like one that got away is all...my gut was screaming 'YOU ARE AHEAD' but I folded anyway. Looked like the vintage big turn bluff with a draw.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 AM

I feel like he has AK or AJ here. I don't see him getting overly aggressive with anything that gives him a boat or better by the turn. I would probably fold as well, but it is a tough hand to lay down.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I know..that's why I folded...this feels like one that got away is all...my gut was screaming 'YOU ARE AHEAD' but I folded anyway. Looked like the vintage big turn bluff with a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a read, I think it is a good fold.

For instance, I get 99 in CO (no reads, yet). UTG makes 4x bb raise, I call, SB pushes for $50, UTG pushes for $200 (I cover). I though about it and laid it down. No one improves on the board and 88 beats AJ. Now I have information about these clowns (who turn out to be 45/24 or so) and I leave the table an hour later up almost a buy-in. With a read I would have auto called with 99, but without a read why get into a coin flip at best against two villains.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:06 AM

Consider these points:

How do you think he sees you, good (or weak) enough to fold top pair?

Both your bets could be seen as weak, especially the turn.

A 4-5 post flop aggression is very high.

Most of the time it's just the fish and the preflop LAGS that make those big all-in bets with monsters. A semi-loose aggressive player, like your villian, would usually put in a raise that you coould call, or just call himself.

And last, your gut is screaming at you.

I say call.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And last, your gut is screaming at you.

I say call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made these gut-screaming-based calls before, and they are always wrong. I don't see how you can get stacked on this hand with just 1-pair.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:11 AM

my turn bet is over 2/3 the pot...how can that be considered "weak"