Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Why small stakes players should move up in limit as soon as possib

[ QUOTE ]
OK I'll bite:
What should I do with my $1800 b/r? I was thinking of getting to $2400 before moving up to 3/6. Bad plan ya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

3/6 Full on Party is quite different from 2/4 Full. You're probably going to have to relearn a lot of stuff as well as learning a lot of new stuff. This includes blind stealing, defending your blinds, isolating bad players, isolating blind stealers, playing against raising stations, learning how to play the flop and turn, plaing overcards and stuff. Basically you relaly have to improve your post flop play and start thinking a lot more. Putting your opponents on hand ranges and making the best decisions with limited amounts of time. You really can't autopilot most 3/6 tables like you can at 2/4.

I suggest you play some shorthanded first starting at 1/2 or 2/4 at Stars. Go on a bonus whoring expedition playing shorthanded at exotic sites. Learning how to play shorthanded is +++EV for your full ring game.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 AM

I would appreciate if everyone that thinks they are good enough to win at 10/20 and above would please start playing at those limits asap. kthx.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3/6 Full on Party is quite different from 2/4 Full. You're probably going to have to relearn a lot of stuff as well as learning a lot of new stuff. This includes blind stealing, defending your blinds, isolating bad players, isolating blind stealers, playing against raising stations, learning how to play the flop and turn, plaing overcards and stuff. Basically you relaly have to improve your post flop play and start thinking a lot more. Putting your opponents on hand ranges and making the best decisions with limited amounts of time. You really can't autopilot most 3/6 tables like you can at 2/4.

I suggest you play some shorthanded first starting at 1/2 or 2/4 at Stars. Go on a bonus whoring expedition playing shorthanded at exotic sites. Learning how to play shorthanded is +++EV for your full ring game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I have played a bunch of 1/2 SH on Paradise already though. I have to say I fall into the "it's still just poker" camp. They're full of donks who don't adjust their PFR standards at all, and I don't know how much that experience will help me in preparation for 3/6. I've heard Stars 2/4 has good SH games, maybe I'll check that out for B/R sake. Party is rigged.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party is rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my favor.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (7.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3h 4h (three of a kind, fours).
CO has Jc Ac (one pair, fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.20 BB. </font>
Old 12-10-2005, 03:53 AM

I can sooooo top that:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 14 BB, between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Hero (14 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ks Kh (full house, jacks full of kings).
Hero has Jc Kc (four of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 14 BB. </font>

Poor guy says after the hand, "nice....you had 3 outs and hit all 3 of them".
Old 12-10-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Why small stakes players should move up in limit as soon as possible.

Well no my bankroll is doing fine. About a month ago my computer crashed so I lost my old poker trackers and decided to start my new poker trackers beginning at 2/4 to see if I would find any leaks to plug or ways to improve my win rate.

I like the idea about playing short handed. About a year after I started playing short handed mostly 10/20 and you can definately make absurd amounts of money considering many players will bluff bet up to and including the river, and the average hand is much weaker, so running into AA and KK is much less likely. Be warned you can't wait for premium hands though, and the downswings are worse also.

Look I did learn quickly, but I spent a lot of time studying the game. Reading every book i could, replaying every hand I though i missed a bet or should have gotten away from, and reviewing the majority of hands I had on pokertrackers. IF THAT'S NOT WHO YOU ARE WHY ARE U ON THIS SITE POSTING? If you take the time to post and read other peoples you should be taking the game seriously.

I'm not saying everyone should move up now, but SPENDING A YEAR OR 2 PLAYING LOW LIMIT IS TO MUCH, and if you can't beat a low limit game after a solid year that you truly studied the game you should quit the game it's not for you, play recreationally but not to make money.

And when I first moved up I had days when I got swatted, but U CAN MOVE BACK DOWN, at least playing higher limits from time to time.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Why small stakes players should move up in limit as soon as possible.

SNOWBALL you've been a member of this site since when? OH YES THIS YEAR, and you think my experience is limited that's a joke. I would consider over 200,000 hands of play enough experience for me to comment on the small stakes forum.

IF YOU READ MY FIRST POST YOU MUST HAVE NOTICED I EVEN ACCOUNTED FOR A GENEROUS 30% RB AND IT WAS STILL $4.90 per 100 hands.

And thanks a lot after all these years I've never heard of multi tabling wow. What u play 4 tables say 50hands per hour for each that's a whopping $16 an hour if you can win 2bb per hundred hands which few people can do.

THAT IS MINIMUM WAGE PLAYER WHO WILL NEVER BE GREAT BECAUSE HE WON'T EVEN TAKE A SHOT AT HIGHER LIMITS. Drop back down if it doesn't go well but take a freaking shot.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SNOWBALL you've been a member of this site since when? OH YES THIS YEAR, and you think my experience is limited that's a joke. I would consider over 200,000 hands of play enough experience for me to comment on the small stakes forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

This from the guy who brought us such gems as what are your stats?

[/thread]
Old 12-10-2005, 05:07 AM

lol 1.6k hands, nice find. I can see why OP seems out of whack to the usual tpt'er, but I think his intentions were for good in making this thread. It was basically just the wrong way to say on tpt to learn to play well and take shots when you can, but be able to move down when necessary.

.... Now lets all go play 20/40