Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 02:20 AM

Location: They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn\'t find it to be that exactly, but I\'ll allow as there are some nice folks there.
Default Re: Favorite healthy snack

[ QUOTE ]
salad or citrus fruit or berries with gravy

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-08-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
baby carrots. I munch on those things non-stop at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try squeezing some fresh lemon juice on them. Makes them even better.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:31 AM

If you're not terribly concerned with calories, try some sliced apples and sliced cheese (brie, cheddar, camembert, etc).
Old 06-08-2005, 02:34 AM

Ice cream!

MOOOOOOOO!
Old 06-08-2005, 02:53 AM

I love ice-cold grapes and oranges. Apples are nice too. I also like dried apricots a lot -- real tangy and chewy, lots of concentrated flavor.

I rarely eat it, but I like popcorn a lot too. And also a few peeled carrots is a nice snack. And a cold, whole peeled cucumber is really refreshing on a hot day. Gets lots of water and lots of cold into you fast.

It's nice to always have a little cooked chicken or turkey on hand, too. Lots of nutrition there and it's just as good cold as it is hot -- eat it is as, shred it up into a sandwich, drop it over a salad or in some soup, whatever. Sometimes I'll make a big batch of drumsticks or breasts and just eat a few per day, either for meals or as snacks.

I really like having a cold pre-prepared salad at all times in the fridge, too. Green beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans provide some hunger-quenching and protein, and then I throw in cucumbers for crunch, tomatoes, olives, usually brocolli or cauliflower for some more crunch, some red cabbage. I usually like grapes or tangerines(or both) in there for some sweetness and tartness, and some onion to spice it up, along with plenty of pepper. Lots of different flavors going there, plenty of a variety of nutrients, and very little fat. Plus the roughage is good for you. Sometimes I add some tofu to get some well-balanced protein in there.

It's great to have healthy, pre-made stuff in the fridge/freezer at all times. Prevents me from caving in to ordering pizza or grabbing a cheeseburger or something. When I eat bad, it's usually at least as much out of laziness as any kind of actual craving for crappy food, probably more.

And hey, combining that cold chicken with a nice helping of the salad is a great instant, nutritious, tasty meal, especially good on a summer day or evening when you don't want to be eating hot food or heating up the place by cooking.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grapefruits. I love cutting the grapefruit in half and scooping the meat up with a spoon. Organic grapefruits, not supermarket grapefruits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love grapefruits, grapefruit juice, too. I eat grapefruits like oranges.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:58 AM

I guess I'm the only one who loves a nice bearded clam. Oh well. More for me.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: good granola

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's not healthy about it? whole grains and nuts? the 1/2 cup of honey spread over 5 cups of other ingredients?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it all depends on your idea of "healthy"

Is it more "lose weight" healthy or "heart" healthy.

But... there are probably like 150 grams of fat on that recipe.

I mean, 1 cup of almonds/hazelnuts is 70 grams of fat.

Then, throw in sun flower seeds, and you're looking at a bunch more.

The whole thing is gonna have like 150-200 grams of fat. IMO, that is far from "healthy." Though it might not be as bad as bacon and eggs on your heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, nuts are high in fat. Then there's the oil and all the sugar from the honey.

This is the kind of thing that makes me think not that it's all that healthy unless eaten in real limited quantities, but -- is it healthier than the crap it might be replacing? In which case, maybe it is.

I used to eat a lot more granola and snack bars too, until I realized that some of the oil was saturated, and it was actually pretty darn high calorie. I could tell, too, by how it would definitely add a little weight to me when I was eating it regularly.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not arguing here, just asking a serious question because a lot of people seem in favor of snacking on nuts. I know it's the "good" type of fat, but most nuts just have so much fat, I don't see how this could be healthy. I think snacking on a couple small handfuls of nuts can be a good snack, but this calls for multiple cups.

Edit: How many servings does that recipe yield?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to comment on this somewhere else.

Granola and nuts are misconceived as 'healthy'.

They are great for someone who is at a healthy weight, and one of the best ways to get your daily fat requirements.

But... if someone is looking to lose weight, eating nuts is very bad. They are fat bombs. Especially considering they do little to fill you up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that too. I could eat a good amount of granola or nut mixes, but not feel all that satisfied. I would fairly quickly be pretty hungry later. That's a lot of fat intake to still not be satisfied. Kind of a raw deal.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frozen grapes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like frozen oranges. Never tried it with grapes, but good idea.