Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Need Some Help

I am new to the forum and really need some advice on my game. I learned poker about 3 years ago and really to a liking to it. I bought some books, SS1, Harrington's and Hellmuth's, and read those. I watch the pros often and read about strategy online. I can't seem to make any money online. I have lost about $200 playing online. I have tried SNGs $5-10, cash games, and HU. I never am able to build my bankroll. I like to play a TA style, but would change to a more LA if that would help me make money.

Anyways, I really love playing and would like to make some decent money playing, but need some advice. Anyone that could coach me or give me pointers would be a real help. I am willing to put the time and effort in, I am just lost right now. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Need Some Help

You need to add a little more information if you want a thorough analysis.

Try posting hands here and seeing what the feedback is
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 PM

I don't have any hand histories because I lost my bankroll, $50, and am not playing right now. Here is how I typically play.

SNGs - I've tried playing TA early on and then seeing some flops later in tourny. I've also tried seeing a lot of flops early on and hitting some big hands to get some chips. Neither has given me any consistent results. I've played the SNGs at Party, FullTilt, Pokertime and Pacific.

Cash Games - I haven't played too many, but mostly .25/.50 and .50/1. I havent made hardly any money at these. I've tried the TA approach and seeing many flops too. All have failed.

I am really a poor heads up player too.

I believe I know a good deal about poker and cant figure out what is going on. Anyways, there is some background. Hope you can help. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:41 PM

I've made significant amounts of money in micro-limit cash games, so I can offer some advice in that area (0.25/50 and 0.50/1). I started off a losing player myself.

You mention Harrington, SS1 and Helmuth. I assume these are the only books you've read. I haven't read Helmuth. The other 2 books are excellent, but do not prepare you well for micro-limit cash games.

First, read Theory of Poker thoroughly. It will give you a solid theoretical foundation. Do not play poker right after reading it. I LOST more money after reading it then before.

Theory of Poker is a theoretical foundation. It does not explain how to apply these concepts. Certain concepts are actually dangerous for micro-limit. Semi-bluffing is rarely, if ever, a good idea, at micro-limit cash games.

Read Small Stakes Holdem. This is the BIBLE of micro-limit cash games. It is the practical counterpart to Theory of poker.This book was the break-through point for me. I actually was still a losing player the first time I read it, but the game started making sense.

I became a break-even player after the second read. After the third read, I finally started crushing the micro-limit games. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I recovered all my losses, covered the costs of purchasing the books and made significant profits.

I assume you already know the basic odds chart, i.e. flush and straight draws. Once again, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You must be aware that certain outs can not be counted as full outs, but only partial outs. Hidden outs must also be taken into consideration, although ignoring them is a less costly error.

Expect to put in a lot of work to become a significant winner and a lot of setbacks.

Franckly, I'm sure it's not worth it.

Losing money is not very entertaining, but becoming a winning player requires a significant amount of time and effort. Concentrating on your job or your studies will be much more profitable.

Have you ever heard of the sunk cost fallacy? You put in so much time and effort into poker, that you can no longer pull away even when you realise it is no longer worthwhile.

Spending time with your family and friends is more rewarding, as corny as it may seem. Concentrating on your job and studies is more profitable.

P.S. [ QUOTE ]
I believe I know a good deal about poker

[/ QUOTE ] You know nothing about poker. The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know and how much more there is to learn. You can learn to play poker in thirty minutes. It takes a lifetime to master. No one masters all its intricacies.

I am not criticizing you. I went through the same stages. The game appears deceptively simple. After learning the rules, I thought I would be able to write a bot within a month to crush the games. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I actually find it more complex then chess, since it is an incomplete information game. Computers can simply crunch the numbers in chess. There is always an element of uncertainty in poker.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:40 AM

thanks for the feedback. i'm going to look into both of those books. i'm not looking for poker to take over my life, but i would like to make a little money at it. i am in college so it would be a nice summer job if i can get good at it. thanks again.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:57 AM

I think anyone should be able to make money in low limit games, regardless of skill level. All it takes to win at the low-to-micro limits is patience, which is sounds like you have, and a keen awareness.

If you're into NL, start at the 10-way .12/.25 tables and sit with $8-$12. Play extremely tight. As a guide for starting hand selection, play only the top 20 hands (as can be found at http://www.wid.info/misctools/poker/HandRankTop20.xml - use the far right column under 9 opponents). And of course be TA, consistently raise 3-4 the BB with any of these hands.

I'd actually recommend starting with limit, as it's really a much simpler game at the lower limits. Again with the top 20 starting hands. The two most important rules are as follows:

1)Play raise-or-fold poker pre-flop. Don't cold call raises pre-flop. This means just calling someone's raise when you haven't even entered the pot yet. If you're have no investment in the pot, why call with KJ when you're most likely behind? If you still like your hand then raise.
2) Patience, patience, patience. Just be patient and let the pots fall into your hands. Of course you'll take some bad beats, but if you're always on the right side of an 85/15% hand going into the river, you'll make money in the long run.

Oh, and try to find some respectable bonus' to get your bankroll started. Party poker offers a simple-to-clear $25 bonus for the micro-limits.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:10 AM

thanks for the tip bootswild, i'm gonna give that a try.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party poker offers a simple-to-clear $25 bonus for the micro-limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't waste the Party bonus on $25 if you can help it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any hand histories because I lost my bankroll, $50, and am not playing right now. Here is how I typically play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not enough to be sure you're even a losing player; you can lose that much at 5/1 SNGs or .10/.20 limit and have it not be your fault. That said, I hear terrible things about the Hellmuth book, and while SSH is a great book it can turn you to a LAG right after reading it if you're not careful (much like someone above said TOP can make you lose money at first). I would recommend starting with the newest edition of Lee Jones' book, then moving on to Theory of Poker, Small Stakes HE, and HE For Advanced Players. And go read the MicroLimits forum and especially the digest religiously.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 PM

i'm going to look into all those books you recommended. i wasn't too high on hellmuth's book. thanks for the help.