Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Cheating the Stock Market

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that we will see an expose by a news organization (Dateline, 60 Minutes, etc.) about a poker player or the poker world in general? I'm not asking you to name names or speculate, just to render an opinion on how easy it would be for a decent investigative reporter to put something juicy together.

(For the record, I am not a reporter nor am I affiliated with any news organization. I am just curious.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it would be easy for an investigative reporter to put anything like that together. That's because cheating at poker can be a technical and subtle enterprise, and even if someone "blew the whistle," there's no evidence to present. There are no incriminating memos and no easy way to "catch them in the act." Only way to really "get the story" would be to become an accomplice and get an under cover story.

I have not, and will never, accuse any specific player or group of cheating, nor will I accuse any specific cardroom of harboring cheating. Those accusations are serious business, and I'm not qualified to make them.

But people do cheat at poker sometimes, and you shouldn't assume that just because you are in a large cardroom or major online room that it can't possibly be happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why then when someone like Russ Georgiev lets the accusations fly, is he written of as a lunatic (which he may very well be, I only know him from some humorous RPG posts and surfing his site a couple times).

As a matter of fact recently Mason ripped into Roy Cooke pretty good on this site, for even suggesting that Georgiev had any credibility.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 PM

So how do we, the honest poker players trying to play square, defend ourselves, learn how to defend ourselves, and know when we're being cheated?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So how do we, the honest poker players trying to play square, defend ourselves, learn how to defend ourselves, and know when we're being cheated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn about the methods of cheating. Darwin Ortiz wrote a terrific book called Gambling Scams. Understand how cheating works. Then get to know (as well as you can) about the people you play against on a regular basis. Watch for funny stuff.. loose players who always happen to avoid each other, etc. Finally, if you play in a regular game with the same players, and you are stuck a whole lot over the long term, consider finding another game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why then when someone like Russ Georgiev lets the accusations fly, is he written of as a lunatic (which he may very well be, I only know him from some humorous RPG posts and surfing his site a couple times).

As a matter of fact recently Mason ripped into Roy Cooke pretty good on this site, for even suggesting that Georgiev had any credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about Russ Georgiev, so I can't begin to comment.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM

Actually in my regular home game, my regular opponents are the ones who are stuck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just open your eyes.. and don't make assumptions at any time. Thats all you can do, as Ed said earlier cheating is rare but that doesn't mean it doesn't occur. Luckilly at the limits I assume you play at (and I play at) you are most likely safe.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 06:35 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Just because you see someone on TV, and they have the reputation of being an excellent poker player and a standup person doesn't mean that either is true. They might be a bad poker player and a cheater. In fact, in my opinion, the large majority of "TV poker personalities" have been presented with a serious layer of spin. They're not all cheaters by any means, but most of them are not the "poker geniuses" the shows would have you believe they are. Some are hustlers, grifters, cheaters, beggers, and the like. Most of the other ones are just some boob who plays poker ok and is running good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hey, you going to be around Vegas the week after x-mas?

b
Old 10-06-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, you going to be around Vegas the week after x-mas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but that also might be the week we go on our honeymoon. Not sure yet.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Cheating and Poker

"They are going to win anyway, why not just do it fairly, im just saying they are going to win anyway so they dont need any cheating. Also people always find out, I mean no new players would be able to survive at those levels, it would be found out if everyone was cheating."

Poker is a game of skill and luck. While the better players beat the less skilled in the long run, it's not always so in the short run. If a "mark" is in town for only a few days, he might hit a hot streak, or he might go to the crap tables. Cheating increases your chances to get his money and to get it quicker.

As for people always finding out, I doubt poker is too much different than other businesses; certainly some people get away with cheating forever without being found out.

I don't think anybody is saying everybody is cheating. (Well, maybe Russ G. sort of did). But to think there's no cheating in the mega-big games is naive. Wherever there's gambling, there's cheating. Sometimes a good reputation is the product of good PR, expecially in Vegas.

Having said all this, you'll note I took Doyle's name out of the title here because I don't know anything about him and it's wrong of people to make accusations or even insinuations about particular people without evidence.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:46 PM

Russ G.'s arguments involve pictures of computers that aren't plugged and and other lunacy. Comparing him to what Ed is saying is just a non-starter.