Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: interesting TPGK flop decision

I don't see why the 3-bet doesn't indicate strength. The read was that the villian was very tight. Continuous raising out of position is exactly how I'd expect an overpair hand to play.

I think we're behind or drawing very slim here way too often, forcing us to give up at the turn unimproved.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:06 PM

:grunching:
What level?
A tight player raises preflop, possibly a steal attempt. You defend with K9s and flop top pair. Tightie bets and re-raises... easy fold to me, in fact I would have probably just let him take my blind in the first place. K9 is a crap hand in early position against a preflop raise.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:14 PM

He's not in early position. He has position heads up.

I either call down from here or cap hoping to get a free turn and then call on the river.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The read was that the villian was very tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw no read. I only see that villan hasn't played a hand yet. We don't know how many hands he's folded.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The read was that the villian was very tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw no read. I only see that villan hasn't played a hand yet. We don't know how many hands he's folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is correct; to this point villain has been dealt a few hands; not enough to reasonably conclude if he's tight or not.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to me anyways.

I am in the BB with K9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
folded to sb (hasn't played a hand yet) who raises, i call.

flop (4SB):
2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

<font color="red">sb bets</font>, <font color="red">I raise</font>, <font color="red">sb 3-bets</font>, I...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have 3-bet preflop. K9s is a fine defending hand and you would like to encourage him to limp in from the small blind instead of raising.

As a result of the preflop call, the flop raise looks like a steal, making SB more inclined to 3-bet a weaker holding to fold you out. Of course, it could be a legit hand pushing you around here, but it's hard to tell. Had you 3-bet preflop, this would have become clearer.

I think you've got to cap him here. If he comes out leading on the turn, you know you're in trouble. Call the turn to snag a nine or a king. At the river... I don't know... I might just pay him off because he's an unknown and the donk factor is there. But folding is probably more prudent.

If he doesn't lead on the turn, check behind and get to the showdown for 1 more BB.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have 3-bet preflop. K9s is a fine defending hand and you would like to encourage him to limp in from the small blind instead of raising.

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of people are saying this and it's making me think... Normally I'd just call here with a hand like K9s. Would you still 3-bet if the steal was coming from the button (so that you're OOP the rest of the hand)?

[ QUOTE ]
If he doesn't lead on the turn, check behind and get to the showdown for 1 more BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I like betting on the turn if it's a card &lt; 9, then checking behind on the river. Why give a free card to someone with overcards to your top pair?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:35 PM

I think I like betting on the turn if it's a card &lt; 9, then checking behind on the river.

I think I like betting on the turn if it isn't an ace, then betting again on the river.

Brad
Old 07-13-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is correct; to this point villain has been dealt a few hands; not enough to reasonably conclude if he's tight or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, OK. I misunderstood. That changes things a bit.

I like being more aggressive in that case. If he's playing an overpair or flopped a set or something, well.. that's going to suck, but we've got a strong hand and position here against an unknown on a possible steal.

Cap flop. Bet if checked to on the turn and river. If bet to on the turn after capping the flop, that's a much trickier thing. I think I'd still just call down from there.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of people are saying this and it's making me think... Normally I'd just call here with a hand like K9s. Would you still 3-bet if the steal was coming from the button (so that you're OOP the rest of the hand)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Position is a huge advantage. If button raised, then I'm more inclined to just call against an unknown. If villain is a known stealer, I'm 3-betting anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I like betting on the turn if it's a card &lt; 9, then checking behind on the river. Why give a free card to someone with overcards to your top pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to get check-raised by AA-TT, which are all reasonable flop 3-betting hands. If he's overplaying a hand, he's probably overplaying AK, where we've got him pinned down to three outs anyway. I'm inclined to believe that he has the goods, but I don't want to fold. Therefore, I'm aiming to get a cheap showdown.