Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 07:53 PM

Default This is why you should not fold for 1 bet in a huge pot

In SSHE, Ed Miller repeatedly emphasizes that folding for one bet in a huge pot is a very bad move.

I saw a hand at a live game this morning that supports this notion.

I'm in MP2 with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG limps, I raise, CO 3-bets, all call and 3 to the flop, 10 SB
Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG bets, I raise, CO 3-bets, all call, 19 SB
Turn is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets, I see CO lining up for another raise so I fold, CO raises, UTG calls, 13.5 BB

River is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets.

CO growls about how he "knew that [censored] 4th spade was coming" and folds trip 8s face up in the center of the table.

The pot was laying 14.5:1, and CO folded for a single bet. What a HORRIBLE fold. UTG pitched J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] onto the table and said, "I guess betting was the only way for me to win" as he dragged a huge pot.

That was quite possibly the worst fold I have ever seen, and it about made me puke on the table. Never mind the fact that were I a real fish, I would have won the pot with a 7 high flush [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ed Miller, you were right. Folding for a single bet with a decent hand is a TERRIBLE move.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: This is why you should not fold for 1 bet in a huge pot

don't puke, just remember to bet the river against that opponent with any two
Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Be a different post if someone had the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

This reaks of hindsight analysis. Not the way to look at it. There are other reasons, maybe, why you should've called, but just because you're hand would've held up and won on the end isn't really one of them.

b
Old 06-06-2005, 03:25 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Be a different post if someone had the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

This reaks of hindsight analysis. Not the way to look at it. There are other reasons, maybe, why you should've called, but just because you're hand would've held up and won on the end isn't really one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said "never mind" that fact that his hand would have held up. Why did you mind it? The point of the post is that the guy with the set of 8s should have called.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:32 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default oops. I read through it too fast...

Sorry 'bout that. I thought he was lamenting his fold. Which I thought it was kind of an odd post from drewontilt.

[ QUOTE ]
He said "never mind" that fact that his hand would have held up. Why did you mind it? The point of the post is that the guy with the set of 8s should have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

sorry again.... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

b