Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Standard line?

I do this alot so I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. The Button was pretty much an unknown, but he seemed to be playing alot of hands so far.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 05-26-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Standard line?

I don't think you can call the river here. Everything beats you. If he had the flush draw, he got it. If he had a better Ace, he got it. If he had a King - he's got you.

This is why it is so difficult to play OOP. FWIW - I call anything but a diamond/paint card on the river as that completes the only draws that I can safely put villain on (if I am ahead here at all). Aside from that, you are really hoping for a split pot here against a weaker A - but are likely facing AJ/AQ.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:06 PM

i would have folded on the turn here.what did he call your raise with?you 3 bet the flop and he still raises the turn?unless he is a maniac you must be beat?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 PM

Good point on the river call. I will have to watch that.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can call the river here. Everything beats you. If he had the flush draw, he got it. If he had a better Ace, he got it. If he had a King - he's got you.

This is why it is so difficult to play OOP. FWIW - I call anything but a diamond/paint card on the river as that completes the only draws that I can safely put villain on (if I am ahead here at all). Aside from that, you are really hoping for a split pot here against a weaker A - but are likely facing AJ/AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think we should fold the turn. Hero raised prelop, 3-betted the flop and bets out on the turn. If he's able to raise with a weak ace, a gut-shot or a flushdraw he deserves the pot.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we should fold the turn. Hero raised prelop, 3-betted the flop and bets out on the turn. If he's able to raise with a weak ace, a gut-shot or a flushdraw he deserves the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the turn raise is very bad for hero here. Maybe fold the turn, not sure. Alternative is 3-bet turn and bet out non-flush/paint river (if you think you are ahead) - this is very aggressive though and dependant on opponents ability to lay down hands on river... Or ofcourse, check/call turn and bet out river (representing the flush ourselves).

I could see all these plays working sometimes, but I think most of the time we are beat here and have to lay down to turn raise.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:39 PM

I think I just found a leak in my game, I call this every time. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alternative is 3-bet turn and bet out non-flush/paint river (if you think you are ahead)

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be spewing IMO. You'll even get a K to slow down by 3-betting the turn. Most often we'll be drawing to 2 outs on this turn so I'll fold.