Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Slow Play vs Big raise??? How do you Slowplay.. and

I am trying to learn how to slow play some of my hands so that i will maximize the value of my hands but i am lost how to do it. Usually if i hit big cards i will bet the big cards ie if i hit the nut strait on the flop or turn. But recently i was trying to slow play and this was the situation. I was in late position with 78 and the flop came up 5 9 q rainbow someone bet 50 so i called there were 3 people in the pot. the turn comes a 8 bam i hit it i knew i had it but i wanted to get the most out of this hand the pot was pretty big already so i bet 100 (we were playing in a tournament.) after a bet from the bb. [now this is where is gets jacked up] River turns 5 guy to my left goes all in. I put him on a FH and was right cause i called him. I lost with my strait cause i tryed to slow play.
Need some help here thanks

Ivanfrost
Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Slow Play vs Big raise??? How do you Slowplay.. and

What straight? You still needed a six. Re-read your post.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:42 PM

I'll assume that your post was in error, and that you actually had a straight, not a pair of 8's.

You need to examine your whole poker thought process. Specifically, when and why did you put your opponent on a full house? I see no reason to automatically give him credit for a full house just because the board paired.

The reason I ask is that for your opponent to have a full house when the board paired, he first would have to have 2 pair or trips on the turn. If you put your opponent on such a strong hand, the decision to slowplay is clearly incorrect. Remember, for a slowplay to be right, it has to make more money than the alternatives. If you read your opponent for real strength, building the pot is always preferable to a WPT-style slowplay. It is only correct to slowplay when you:

1. Have a dominant hand.
2. Believe your opponents have nothing.
3. Believe that they might make a strong second-best hand
on the later streets.

In this case, you satisfied the first condition, but the second two were clearly violated. Your opponent was badly beaten, had a hand with which he'd have given you all his chips, and had a live draw against you. Bad time to slowplay.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to learn how to slow play some of my hands so that i will maximize the value of my hands but i am lost how to do it. Usually if i hit big cards i will bet the big cards ie if i hit the nut strait on the flop or turn. But recently i was trying to slow play and this was the situation. I was in late position with 78 and the flop came up 5 9 q rainbow someone bet 50 so i called there were 3 people in the pot. the turn comes a 8 bam i hit it i knew i had it but i wanted to get the most out of this hand the pot was pretty big already so i bet 100 (we were playing in a tournament.) after a bet from the bb. [now this is where is gets jacked up] River turns 5 guy to my left goes all in. I put him on a FH and was right cause i called him. I lost with my strait cause i tryed to slow play.
Need some help here thanks

Ivanfrost

[/ QUOTE ]

if a paired board makes you "know" you're beat, then there are way too many cards that'll scare you to slowplay. there are 12 cards that'll pair the board, right? and how about the TJ oesd? that adds 2 8s and 4 kings. now there are 18 cards that'll make you "know" you're beat. that's about 40% of the deck. i'd call that a fastplay situation.

oh yeah, most likely the turn put two of a suit on board, so there're all those back door flush cards that could come on the river too...
Old 04-20-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is only correct to slowplay when you:

1. Have a dominant hand.
2. Believe your opponents have nothing.
3. Believe that they might make a strong second-best hand
on the later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNER! The thread really could be locked now, this says it all. You slowplay when you want people with draws to second best hands in. I very rarely slowplay a flopped set because I feel like a complete sucker when I lose with it. I'm not likely to make a draw and then slowplay it. If I flop the godawful nuts (AK board AAK for instance), I have ALL of the cards and a bet will just make everyone fold.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:20 PM

The reason you see slowplays work so well on TV is because these guys are playing for real money. Where bad decisions can cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What kind of hand would play like that in a serious tournament for someone to make a FH? The only one even remotely possible is pocket 8s. If he had Qs, he's going to raise pre-flop. If he's got 9's then you have to expect a raise from him somewhere before the river. Anything else (q-5, 9-5, 8-5) wouldn't even be in this hand unless it came from the BB without a pre-flop raise (or Gus Hanson was playing... and in that case he would have raised it pre-flop if he was going to play that trash).

If he's got the pocket 8's and has stayed in the hand till the turn (and had the balls to just call your big bet when he turned his set), well then you're probably going to lose some money... and it probably can't be helped.

In this case, I don't know what he had... but unless he had the 8s, playing fast would have lost you lots of money, too... he's going to call with 2-pair or better and you'll still lose to the FH. It happens.

Slow-playing anything but the true nuts on-line is probably going to cost you more money than you make. On the other hand... playing fast will almost always get you callers with weaker hands. At least, that's my experience.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:38 PM

nevermind, the thread couldn't be locked, msb came out of the woodwork to make a post! welcome back?