Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 09:46 AM

Default IP offer - misleading?

Just got a promotional flyer in the mail from IP

The tournament is $500 entry with 100% payback. Buying gets 2,000 chips. Room rates for the tournament are $190 total for three nights, Thursday-Sunday.

What is misleading is the name "Poker Pigskin Challenge" and date, January 26-28. That looks like Superbowl weekend, but it is the empty week between the Conference championships and the Suberbowl.

Since this is easy to confirm, it is not really harmful. But it still seems underhanded to me. Thoughts?

There is a $25 "dealer add-on" for 500 more chips. The impication is that this money goes to dealers, but after the "Poker Pigskin Challenge" name, who knows?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: IP offer - misleading?

[ QUOTE ]
Since this is easy to confirm, it is not really harmful. But it still seems underhanded to me. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a nit?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:38 AM

How could you possibly care about this as much as you appear to care? If you hadn't seen the misleading nature of this ad, would you have arrived that weekend for a poker tournament and been outraged to realize that all they were providing was a poker tournament, and not a superbowl weekend poker tournament?

Can't you just write angry letters to the editor about how Larry of Crazy Larry's Electronic Warehouse appears by all accounts to be a savvy, well adjusted, and sane businessman and not, as advertised, crazy at all?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:42 PM

haha...awesome
Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 PM

I don't see the words "Super Bowl" anywhere.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the words "Super Bowl" anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be because it's a trade mark and not allowed to be used, they would, however, use the term "The Big Game" as every other advertisement does...

I would be concerned about the fact that the ad doesn't seem to mention what type of poker is being played, unless "Pigskin poker" is a new variation i'm unaware of.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:09 PM

Steve,
In response to your inquiry and others. The "Poker Pigskin Challenge" is a no limit Texas Hold 'em tournament held that weekend. It is the week before the Super Bowl and nowhere do we state that it is in conjunction with the Super Bowl. It is merely the theme for the tournament. We felt that people would be fired up during the NFL playoffs and wanted to incorporate football into the tournament.
We have worked very hard to make it one of the most player-friendly tournaments at its buy-in level. Feedback from players that played in our previous tournaments have taught us that players want more chips to start out, longer blind levels, and a slower blind structure.
We are also the only tournament that gives you the option of tipping the dealers. From the feedback at the WSOP (which I participated in as well), I felt much negativity towards the mandatory tipping policy. Obviously, I want to take care of my employees as well. The optional policy does give an out to those who strongly disagree with tipping dealers as part of the tournament buy-in. I realize it does put you at a chip disadvantage to other players, but it offered what I felt was the best and fairest solution.
Please feel free to contact me at poker@imperialpalace.com should you have any further questions regarding this tournament.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:12 PM

Blinden,
The back of the postcard has more detail about the tournament. It is Texas Hold 'em, as that is the only game we offer.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:29 PM

Please give my regards to Angela, the big six dealer.

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] her.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinden,
The back of the postcard has more detail about the tournament. It is Texas Hold 'em, as that is the only game we offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was pretty much a joke because of how ridiculous the whole football thing was, nevermind that...