Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-18-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Blue Collar Job conflict (Long)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm very against hyper sensitive political correctness, but I'm not against using this to my advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

If she's really mean to the animals, report her to PETA.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:54 AM

She's not deliberately mean, just completely negligent in her handling. It's kind of a fine line, but if I ever saw her deliberately hit an animal I'd be complaining to many a head honcho the next day.

And no, I won't deal with PETA, our school has enough issues with them already regarding research.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:59 PM

It's usually harder to fire a woman than a man. Good luck. Especially if the person you're complaining to isn't directly negatively effected by the bad job performance of the person in question. A great percentage of supervisors just want to look like they're in charge, not really do anything much. If they can make you eat it while they can forget about it, it's hard to get change.

The abuse thing could be a good angle, especially if you've noted the pet owners seeing it. That kind of thing can spread around and make people pull out their business and take it elsewhere; besides, some people actually don't laugh at the thought that something could be unethical.

If your work situation is something that can't change for the better, keep doing a great job. An exceptional job, even. And start looking around elsewhere for a place where you can bring a sterling recommendation with you.

Adequate excuses for leaving when you don't want to tell the truth include a place closer to your house, better hours, less freeway traffic, better pay. Or you can tell them straight out AFTER you get a letter of recommendation. Remember, criticism of someone is implied criticism of their manager, since the manager is supposed to catch things. This can provoke anger and retaliation. A manager/owner in denial or embarassment could retaliate by inventing stories, at least in their mind and soon to be spread verbally as far as possible, that you are incompetent, repetitively tardy or cutting out of work early, take too long lunch breaks or regular work breaks, are unprofessional either in practice or in relating to the staff, etc. Don't underestimate the ability and desire of people to shift blame off onto the guy who is leaving, which itself can be painted as proof of his inability to function in what a firm would like to kid itsel is a "professional environment."

In other words, think strongly of leaving and saying NOTHING negative. You may wish to use these guys as a reference for many, many years. So don't leave a stink bomb behind you.