Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 AM

Default becoming a member of the Nation of Islam (Black Muslim movement)

watching Malcolm X right now.

Very interesting thinking about the stuff I know and that form of Black Nationalism that Malcolm X was a part of.

As a white person, it makes no sense for me to consider getting caught up in this religion.

But I have a feeling if I were a black person, I'd be one of the first people standing in line at the rallies.

RB
Old 10-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: becoming a member of the Nation of Islam (Black Muslim movement)

I know the feeling, though I think the fact that many people think that the Nation murdered Malcolm (very Christ-like eh?) kind of kills it...

After watching Malcolm X in college I went out the next day (well, soon after, maybe a week[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) and tried to convert to Islam. I went through many sessions of prayer and fasted and read the Koran. It was very enlightening, but I eventually (after about a year) found myself turned away from many of the cultural mores tied to Islam. I still think it's a beautiful religion, as based on the book, but as practiced most places it's hard to deal with. It's funny that now I'm willing to put up with similar shenanigans by Christian wack-os-- actually it's kind of a sad statement that lends some credence to the atheist's contentions of religion just being a cultural crutch rather than a reasoned choice. If I could be Muslim in a community of progressive mystics I very well might, especially if I got to keep the polygamy! I wish I’d have at least learned Arabic, I could get a job at the State Department…

Anyway, that’s a boss movie.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Malcolm X, among other things, claimed to have visions involving the dead founder of his movement. If somebody else had these they would be considered wacko, yet Malcolm X is considered cool and a serious historical figure. What gives?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Malcolm X, among other things, claimed to have visions involving the dead founder of his movement. If somebody else had these they would be considered wacko, yet Malcolm X is considered cool and a serious historical figure. What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if Malcolm just claimed to round up two of every species and build an ark, or was nailed to a cross and rose from the dead, or turned 5 loaves into 5000 loaves because some listeners got the munchies, or something else along those lines, he would be much more credible.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually never seen the movie, but I have nothing but respect for Malcolm X. If you look at the course of his life, you can see not only great intelligence but ultimately tremendous integrity. It's not often that you see personal growth, especially from a public figure, of such magnitude.

PS Could you provide a quote of one of these "visions" you talk of.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:14 PM

This information is taken from Malcolm X's biography. Chapters 10 and 11 "Satan" and "Saved" clearly show that Malcolm got involved in a crazy cult.

Exact quote from chpt. 10 while in his prison cell:

"I suddenly, with a start became aware of a man sitting beside me in my chair...I knew I wasn't dreaming...Then suddenly as he had come, he was gone."

Later on he claims this was a vision of a Mr. WD Fard who was a founder of the movement.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:09 PM

OK, I thought you were talking about Mohammed.

Yes, I'll certainly agree that the Nation of Islam is pretty much a "crazy cult". One that eventually murdered him.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 AM

many people have experiences where they feel an overwhelming presense of love and peace - sometimes alcholics feel it when they stop drinking - Christians feel it when they get saved or filled with the spirit - some call it visions...

even if it's just psychological and not actually supernatural, it's still benefical. and it's not something to then point to and throw out every thing else - that's the narrowest kind of thinking... - actually that's the excuse of a man who's just looking for an excuse to be a bigot without saying he is.

I understand many people don't like Malcolm X, but please, come up with something better then that to have an ignorant opinion.

In any case, he turned his back on the Nation of Islam and did his own thing, so his vision of the Prophet Elijah wasn't big enough to keep him staying when he found out about said leader's hypocricy.

RB
Old 10-05-2005, 04:38 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
In any case, he turned his back on the Nation of Islam and did his own thing, so his vision of the Prophet Elijah wasn't big enough to keep him staying when he found out about said leader's hypocricy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NOI are deemed heretical by most sunni muslims (the majority) and indeed Malcom X did leave it and change his name after performing the Hajj where he found many of the NOI's teachings about muslims and Islam were different than what he experienced on the Hajj.

FWIW I think the NOI tries to fill a niche market and capitalize on blacks who 'need' an identity long lost because of the US history of slavery IMHO.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, until now SDM, I hadn't realized you ever had a "humble" opinion. Good to know it does exist.

Cheers, too.

RJT