Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Is this overplaying?

Pacific Poker 0,5/1, tenhanded

Co and MP2 are both pretty loose and somewhat aggressive.
No reads on MP1.

I decided to cap the flop, because I figured my hand was too good to fold and capping and betting out on the turn might keep the others from raising. I am not sure, if this is right though.

Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls, Hero checkes. (7 players, 7 SBs)

Flop is

8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets, EP1 folds, EP2 calls, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, CO reraises, Hero caps, EP2 folds, everybody calls
(4 players, 24SB)

Turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, everybody calls. (4 players, 16 BB)

River is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, everybody calls. (4 players, 20BB)
Old 07-05-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Is this overplaying?

Check/raise a late flop bet to protect against gutshots (like JT)

I don't like capping the flop.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:49 AM

This isn't a good reason to cap the flop. I just call the 3 bet and see what happens on the turn. (check)

You're in real bad shape if you get raised on the turn if you play it like this, and you'll probably have to call as it'll only be 1 more bet to you in a large pot. If you just check the turn you can fold if it's 2 to you, or peel if it's 1. If CO bet the turn and he's very aggressive I'd raise, but I don't think you should do this against a "somewhat" aggressive.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly
Old 07-05-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you check/raising? It would be a disaster if it got checked through or if someone to your left bet out. There was no preflop raiser. Check/raising isn't an option on this flop.

I don't like the cap, either, unless you have reads all around that NO ONE would play AJ-AK without raising it preflop. Another good reason not to cap is to see just how much MP1 likes his hand - if he caps behind you you're almost certainly beat. I do think you overplayed this, though. I would probably be dumping on the turn after that flop action, especially if MP1 capped behind me.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:20 AM

I'll chime in. Yea - the capping was silly and I bet you know that now. Don't take it personally and we all don't think you are stupid. I figure if you thought you played the hand perfectly you would not post it.

You have top pair and a kicker lower then the Q so it's not a great play.

MP2 raising could have a Queen and is protecting , who knows qhat CO has but somebody is lieing and somebody has top pair good kicker or 2 pair, You have top pair poor kicker and a flush threat on board.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG
Old 07-05-2005, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Who are you check/raising? It would be a disaster if it got checked through or if someone to your left bet out. There was no preflop raiser. Check/raising isn't an option on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

7 players to the flop with a flush draw on the board. I GUARANTEE this is not getting checked through. In this case, I think it is better to pass up our small flop edge to give incorrect odds on the turn (if it is checked through), but even better to try and create an opportunity to face the field with 2 bets cold in this fairly large pot. Checking through is not a disaster here. If we have AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something, yes, it would.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

7 players to the flop with a flush draw on the board. I GUARANTEE this is not getting checked through. In this case, I think it is better to pass up our small flop edge to give incorrect odds on the turn (if it is checked through), but even better to try and create an opportunity to face the field with 2 bets cold in this fairly large pot. Checking through is not a disaster here. If we have AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something, yes, it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, how do we know that if we bet it won't be raised by the next player and protect our hand for us? I'm inclined to think my hand has pretty good equity here, I'm betting to guarantee value and possibly get protection. Checking to possibly get protection and not guarantee value doesn't sound all that great to me.

Once it's raised and re-raised behind, it's time to start re-evaluating (i.e. fold).
Old 07-05-2005, 09:17 AM

2 parts: Hand comments and 2nd I am looking to imporve my hand reading skills and would appreciate feed back on what the end resluts were.

Hand comments: I agree that capping the flop is over playing your hand. I think you could have the best hand at the time (unless MP1 is holding the Axs, A8 being very possible). No pre-flop raise and those loose agressives would have raised if they had AK, AQ, AJ plus god knows what. The MP1 is the unknown and I would assume him to be avg thus he would have raised with AJ KQ or 8s or better.

When you bet the turn and they all call you know they must all have a piece of the flop most likely draws, flushs and str8s as a minimum. But I would have bet turn as you did.

I would have checked on the river and called 1 bet if anyone bet which I would think as a minimum the loose aggressive would have. I may be whimppy but I think MP1 is calling with something maybe the str8, flush draw or A8. Flush missed but maybe not str8 so I think you subjected your self to putting in two bets when you could have risked one or none if checked around.

Hand Reading:
Flop: The loose aggress could have almost anything
MP1 could have Axs crappy kicker or draws
Turn: More convinced MP1 has Ax low kicker (A9 or less A8 included) plus possbile draws; If the loose agressives are just calling I am not too worried about them.
River: Because you were again called I think MP1 had Ax low kicker to include A8.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:19 AM

Yeah, fold the flop 2 back to you.

I'm not going to say the cap was a good play, but I like it better than calling here.
A) there's a good chance it's going to get capped anyway.
B) what's the plan on the turn if we call? Check/fold if a T doesn't hit?