Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 01:15 PM

Default General Question - Always raise unsuited braodway pre-flop?

Hello,
I have been thinking some about when I do and do not raise. Basically I follow the tight table in SSHE. The table has several hands that it recommneds calling preflop but not raising. Several of these are hands which are unsuited but are 2 high cards - for example AJo or KQo UTG or KJ0 in MP, or a whole bunch of hands in late position.

Would it be better to always raise these hands if nobody has raised before me? I am thinking that the reason to play these cards is mostly their high card strength - their straight potential is somewhat limited. By raising I could potentially knock out one or both blinds, and maybe hands like Kx or Ax from loose players.

Does anyone do this? Do people think it is a good idea?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Re: General Question - Always raise unsuited braodway pre-flop?

The reason you might not do this is you will only be called by hands that have you dominated, and they will have position on you.

KJS
Old 12-17-2004, 04:08 PM

i raise them everywhere but the blinds if no one has raised yet (i may limp on the button if many others limp).

KJo I only play from MP2+.. usually MP3+. its generally a raise or fold hand for me. I fold after lots of limpers. raise 1 or 2 limpers. I'll open raise MP2 or after a very weak limper.

QJo is similar.. but in the CO+. i only raise 1 limper, sometimes 2 weak ones.

KJo/QJo is a complete from the SB, but generally a fold if raised and I'm in the BB.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,
I have been thinking some about when I do and do not raise. Basically I follow the tight table in SSHE. The table has several hands that it recommneds calling preflop but not raising. Several of these are hands which are unsuited but are 2 high cards - for example AJo or KQo UTG or KJ0 in MP, or a whole bunch of hands in late position.

Would it be better to always raise these hands if nobody has raised before me? I am thinking that the reason to play these cards is mostly their high card strength - their straight potential is somewhat limited. By raising I could potentially knock out one or both blinds, and maybe hands like Kx or Ax from loose players.

Does anyone do this? Do people think it is a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right or wrong I do. I like thinning with offsuit high card holdings when there have been no raises. I fold if it comes back to me with the weaker end of these holdings.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:12 PM

I open raise AJo from anywhere. I'll usually raise it after 1 or 2 loose limpers too. From MP2 on I'll open raise anything down to KTo, maybe QJo if the table like to fold to a pfr. If there are a few of limpers, KJo could be a raise, I've played it that way many times before. With a lot of limpers, many of the weak broadway hands won't warrant a raise.

KJS has a good point, I'd make sure to worry about Ax too. I like to bet out on the flop if there's an A, but if there's a raise, and I whiffed the flop I'm out. Also, if there are 2 callers and a blank hits the turn, I'm thinking long and hard about who I'm up against before betting again.

All of these hands are definitely playable at this level, but you really need to make sure your post-flop skills are sharp to maximize the wins, and, more importantly, minimize the losses.