Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Stupid Laws

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, society gets to make that decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confused as to how it is possible for 'society' to make a decision. Please enlighten me.

[/ QUOTE ]

By metonymy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say metaphor rather than metonymy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought perhaps personification? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is quite a stretch of imagination to think a group of people can make "a decision". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The neurons in my brain have a pretty hard time, too, but they manage. Most of the time. LOL.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:01 AM

There are valid answers to all of your concerns... but I doubt your seriousness in this discussion, so I'll let someone else explain it to you if they are so inclined. Good day sir.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am confused as to how it is possible for 'society' to make a decision. Please enlighten me.

[/ QUOTE ]

By metonymy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personification's a type of metaphor. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 01:57 AM

The problem comes in when I have to go to jail for violating #1, because under your system someone invoked their legal right to engage in #2 or #3, but proved to be an irresponsible moron and killed one of my loved ones.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By metonymy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is quite a stretch of imagination to think a group of people can make "a decision". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The neurons in my brain have a pretty hard time, too, but they manage. Most of the time. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am part of society, yet I disagree with the decision. How is it possible for society to make a decision based on the fact that not everyone agrees with it or has a part in making it?

What you call "society," I call a "mob". In mobs, people make decisions for other people. That is what you are referring to sir.

Oh yeah, the right answer was "if 100% of individuals agree." Your argument is akin to asserting that when a mother and father say, "We are going to take a family trip to the Opera" (the children dissent obviously), that the family, not the parents, made this decision.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By metonymy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am part of society, yet I disagree with the decision. How is it possible for society to make a decision based on the fact that not everyone agrees with it or has a part in making it?

What you call "society," I call a "mob". In mobs, people make decisions for other people. That is what you are referring to sir.

Oh yeah, the right answer was "if 100% of individuals agree." Your argument is akin to asserting that when a mother and father say, "We are going to take a family trip to the Opera" (the children dissent obviously), that the family, not the parents, made this decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called democracy... and voting. Ours is a republic, so you vote for representatives.

I sometimes make decisions about which I am conflicted. Part of me doesn't want to do it... but the bigger part of me ends up deciding it's best. How can I make a decision if I'm not 100% sure that's the best thing to do?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't need protected from myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do... definitely. BTW, get yourself to New Hampshire, no seatbelt laws for those who are of age, no helmet laws and, since I'm going on, no state income or sales tax. Just don't get into an accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a sweet deal except for the fact that you have to live in New Hampshire :-P
Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's called democracy... and voting. Ours is a republic, so you vote for representatives.

[/ QUOTE ]

So really, what you meant to say is that a big group of people gets together and tells a smaller group of people what to do.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So really, what you meant to say is that a big group of people gets together and tells a smaller group of people what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to argue whether democracy is legitimate, or if our republic is a good type of democracy, then you should start another thread. Actually, in our democracy, a very large group (almost everyone) votes for a small group, who then get together and tell the large group what to do. If we don't like it, we can vote to change it or the people in the small group.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:06 PM

I know how it works. You're handwaving around the issue. Whether the big group of people tells the small group directly or funnels their wishes through some sort of committee is not really important. Why does *anyone*, big group or individual, have any right to impose upon others? What magical pixie dust differentiates a group of voters from a mob with pitchforks and torches?