Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 09:22 PM

Default KQo..raised Multiway pot

Flop raiser is LPA over a couple hundred hands. Button is LPP and the other player is unknown.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Button checks.

River: (10.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Good?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: KQo..raised Multiway pot

One thing I'd consider is trying for a checkraise on the flop. However, with so many people in, we can't really count on the bet coming from the PFR, and the lead seems all right to me.

After leading, I would 3-bet. And then I'd be wincing and leading the turn. Your actual turn check doesn't seem so bad to me, though, as a follow-up to your flop call. I'm kind of surprised the turn got checked through.

I like the river bet, though the results surprise me. I guess everyone had AQ or something.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 PM

i like check-raising the flop, that way if everything works out you can face the field with a double bet, the way you played it, i donk bet any non diamond, non 9/T/A turn, check the one that came, i like the river bet, maybe a check would have induced a bluff from somewhere tho
Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 PM

check raise flop, bet turn
Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 PM

I 3-Bet the flop here a lot. The flop raiser's stats were something like 33/.8/.2

I thought the flop raise signified a great deal of strength thus, I thought I was in trouble.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-Bet the flop here a lot. The flop raiser's stats were something like 33/.8/.2

I thought the flop raise signified a great deal of strength thus, I thought I was in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting would be my standard play against unknowns at the point when the action gets back to you on the flop. But, in addition to that, I also thought UTG+2 was LP-A.

If he was 33/.8/.2 instead, then I'd think I was in trouble too and would probably just call.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:47 AM

Preflop: I don't think this is an easy call, but I'd usually call just the same. If I think the CO is so passive that he'll only raise monsters preflop, then I'd muck... but this is rare.

Flop: I would definitely go for a check/raise here. By raising you can make gutshots and other marginal draws go away, but by betting out they'll probably call. The pot is big, so I think you must do whatever you can to maximize your chances of winning it. Betting will only fold out hands that have very little chance of outdrawing you.

Turn: I prefer betting out and folding if it gets raised(this is assuming you check/raised the flop and nobody 3bet). I think it's very unlikely you'd get raised by a hand you beat here. Also, you'd hate to give a free card to someone holding a card like the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], so I really wouldn't want this street to get checked around.

River: With a blank like that I'd value bet.

Just my opinion...
Old 09-07-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check raise flop, bet turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of the big blind this is a perfect situation for a check-raise.

Simply calling the flop raise and checking back the turn is bad, because very often the flop raise if from a draw and you really don't want to be giving free card opportunities. Only after at least a flop three-bet am I will to consider checking the turn, and in that situation I'll often still call the flop three-bet and then bet out the turn anyway.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like check-raising the flop, that way if everything works out you can face the field with a double bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a contradiction in your logic here.

Check raising the flop would actually bring 3 extra opponents along after they call preflop raiser's initial flop bet (so only UTG+1 would end up facing two bets).

This is a good example of being aware of relative position to a preflop raiser. The OP in this hand donked the flop knowing he'd likely be raised in order to make the other 3 people in the hand behind him face two.

Check raising would be the only be the right move if OP acted after preflop raiser on the flop.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Well played on all streets given read on villan.

To all who advocate a flop check raise (with mention of "making people go away" or "face two bets") - a check raise does not accomplish that in this particular hand, it actually keeps people in the hand and makes the pot larger (which only increases the chances of people staying to see the river).

With TPGK you'd like to get this hand heads up. Leading the flop and anticipated original PFR raising makes the majority of the field face two bets cold.

It's all about relative position when someone else has raised preflop.