Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Any actuaries in here?

Just wondering if there are any actuaries in this forum. I am a college junior majoring in actuarial science, and economics, with a minor in finance.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Any actuaries in here?

I am.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering if there are any actuaries in this forum. I am a college junior majoring in actuarial science, and economics, with a minor in finance.

[/ QUOTE ]

almost. i have to write course 7 and then do the professional development stuff before the exam system changes. i work at an actuarial consulting firm
Old 10-19-2005, 04:38 PM

Have you taken any of the exams yet? I don't know anything about the changes in the exam system. I am taking the first exam (on probability) in may.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:07 PM

I'm jealous. I was going to try the exams (haven't even started) but I never give myself time to study. I understand it's about 100 hours of studying for every hour of the exam. I don't have the discipline to do this, and actuarial science isn't offered at my university. Good luck to you guys.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:19 PM

well the first actuarial exam is over probability. My schools STA584 is called Mathmatical Statistics 1 and is what exam 1 is over. Other than that just throw in some managerial finance classes, the basic accounting classes (201-202 here) and some econ classes, and you will have everything you need if you are already a stat major (assuming you have had Calc1-3, introduction to annalysis, and possibly advanced calculus 1). Check out beanactuary.com for more info.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:53 AM

I passed the first exam...barely. The second exam I imagine should be easier. Unfortunately, I am a such a lazy slacker, getting through school will is tough enough. But I do enjoy the material.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:16 AM

Thanks for the advice. I had beanactuary.org and a whole bunch of other sites bookmarked last summer. I don't doubt I could pass the first exam, but after that I don't know. Now I have dreams of playing $10/$20 SHLHE and higher part-time to go with whatever job I take do with stats. Not exactly +EV but I can see myself doing it. I don't see myself getting past even the first 4 actuarial exams.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:06 AM

I got my FSA in 1993 but haven't practiced since 1997. If I could do it all over I probably wouldn't have wasted my time. If you're capable of passing all those exams you're also capable of making a good living gambling and you'll have lots of spare time for your family rather than sucking up to your bosses, clients and society at large (unless of course you're doing it because you feel a need to satisfy these people/entities and a paycheck is just a bonus).
Old 10-20-2005, 03:45 PM

haha, thanks for the encouragement. I take it you play poker for your main income?