Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Live 20/40 Hand

I played this hand over the weekend at the WSOP Circuit event near Louisville, Kentucky.

I am in the CO with two red kings. The button is a LAGish, tricky sort of player. I am pretty sure that he thinks I am very straightforward, and am never going to get very far out of line, won't bluff, etc.

Anyway, we were seven-handed at the time. All fold to me and I raise. Button thinks for a second, then reraises. I just call. Flop is:

Qc Jd 3s

I checkraise, and he just calls.

Turn is:

Kc

I pause for a split second, then check again (I am almost certain he will bet with almost anything here). He bets. I raise. He thinks for a second, then 3-bets, I cap. He cocks his head and puts on a disgusted look, then calls.

River is an unrelated brick. I bet. He thinks for a bit and then mucks.

A semi-buddy of mine was sitting in the game, and I know him to be a very skilled higher limit pro (no limit games larger than 20/40 got off during the weekend). He asked me about the hand later, saying that he figured I had ATc, as he didn't think I would cap the turn with anything else. He was surprised I had KK. When I pressed him and asked if he thought I played it badly, he said no---he just had difficulty putting me on that hand.

So---what do you guys think?

Michael
Old 10-25-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Live 20/40 Hand

I like your flop line.

I disagree with your turn play. I think going for the CR on the turn is a huge mistake. There's a large chance button may check behind after you already CR'd the flop. Also, when you CR on the turn, it's very unlikely the button will threebet without the nuts or pretty close to it.
I like leading the turn, because this allows button to raise, and then I can threebet. I think this is the optimal to play it, and I would not expect a cap on the turn without my oponent having AT.

You got very lucky that you got so much action on the turn. I don't think it was your play that did it.

Cheers
Bluffman85
Old 10-25-2005, 01:20 AM

Although Bluffman's comment about your check has some merit, I do not believe it is a bad check; that is, so long as you don't mind the upset stomach when he checks behind you and then sucks out with something on the River; or, you just don't get any more money when your set is best.

In this instance, however, I believe because of the fact that your opponent was willing to go so far with the betting on the Flop, coupled with the fact that you were both in LP, that the ck/raise on the Turn was a good play.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:25 AM

That was my first thought as well---lead the turn, but given that the villain would bet 'almost anything', the check was the play for this spot. If he leads it's unlikely he will get raised by anything less.
I think it was a good adjustment on the fly.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 AM

your buddy can put you on A10 high when u checkraise the flop but not 2 kings?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your buddy can put you on A10 high when u checkraise the flop but not 2 kings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because his buddy has him pegged as tighter than his play in this hand, ie. he didn't have the Nut hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:45 AM

I love the way you played this hand. You played your opponent very well. There are no set rules on how to play the flop or the turn or preflop in this heads up situation, but I believe you choose the exact right line on every street against this particular opponent.