Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 08:49 AM

Default OMG im so weak.

Villain is an aggressive idiot. Very laggy. Playing way too many hands and raising with crap. His PFR wasnt that high (20s), but he mixed up raising with good hands and some iffy stuff.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($165.85)
Hero ($649.15)
BB ($604.35)
UTG ($161.6)
MP ($274.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $39</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $30.

Flop: ($84) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Here I am totally lost. Was it a big mistake to only raise to 40 pf? should I have just called or what? here on the flop I have no idea what to do. now that I have inflated the pot so big I need to lead out for a lot if I want to take a shot at it. HELP/
Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: OMG im so weak.

You have to have a good read to proceed with a bet in this spot.

WHat range of hands do you put him on? Is he more likely to have called in this spot thinking he has a hand that can potentially bust aces, or does he just not like to fold?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:56 AM

he could have a lot of things. very hard to put him on something. his vpip is like 70 if thats what you mean. i feel weak checking here, but it just seems like the vast majority of my bets are getting called.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 AM

Then most likely check if he doesnt' fold well. YOu have ace high with virtually no redraws on a crappy board.

you can easily stack this guy in a better spot.

Also not much wrong with betting something like 5/6 the pot, if he raises, let it go, and set yourself up to stack this guy in a better spot.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 AM

btw against guys who are very loose i much prefer to make a strong hand than too start with a strong hand. They will pay you, and you can be much more certain that you have the best of it when the money goes in.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:09 AM

what do you think about the preflop play? am I just asking for this to happen? should i just call OOP or maybe push for the combined value of him possibly calling and the value of letting him know im capable of reraising?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:14 AM

I like the PF play a lot- it lets you know where you stand. If he re-reaises you, you can put him on QQ-AA and fold- if he just smooth calls you, you got a pretty good idea your K and A are live outs and can play accordingly. Plus, it sets you out as the aggressor in the hand.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the PF play a lot- it lets you know where you stand. If he re-reaises you, you can put him on QQ-AA and fold- if he just smooth calls you, you got a pretty good idea your K and A are live outs and can play accordingly. Plus, it sets you out as the aggressor in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

people will reraise here with less than AA-QQ, i am not folding this hand preflop against a very laggy player pretty much ever.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:57 AM

Preflop isn't that big of a deal.

Much more important how u deal with a worthless flop for your hand.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:11 AM

There's another thread going right now about re-raising AK in position and out of position. In that thread, it's pretty much agreed that if you're out of position and re-raise AK, you're pretty much obligated to bet the flop. I agree with them too. I think you need to bet this flop and fold to a raise (obviously).

KoW

Edit: Here's the thread Re-raise AK Preflop?