Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 05:31 PM

Default TT overpair against PFR

I'm at Foxwoods 5/5 NL. Semi reasonable player (plays a few too many pots, but hasn't gotten too out of line, has me covered) raises to 25. All fold to me in the big blind, I call with red tens and about 600 behind me. Flop comes down 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bets 40 into the pot, I checkraise to 100, he thinks for a moment and calls. Turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I'd like some advice as to how people would play here. I wasn't sure where I was on the flop, and thus c/r with the plan of folding if 3bet or getting AK to fold. After his smooth call, I'm thinking he might have something like JJ or QQ and is afraid of a set, or or is possibly trying to get tricky with AA. Now there's about 250 in the pot and I have 500 behind me, not sure what to do. Suggestions? Would people have bet out the flop and fold to a raise?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: TT overpair against PFR

I really dislike your small flop checkraise. After checking, I'd either call or checkraise more. With these stacks, your half-pot checkraise puts you in an awkward spot out of position. How I play this is very opponent-dependent. Check-calling the 40 and then betting 100 on the turn is a line I'd take against a lot of opponents.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:03 PM

With a hand like this, what I like to do is figure out what I'm looking for before the flop hits based on my opponents. You should seriously consider only playing tens for their trip values in this position against unfamiliar opponents for a few reasons. The insecurity that prompted you to this post is a result of too many possible overpairs as well as perceived overcard outs, and can lead to misplaying hands. Also, your position relative to the opponent dictates that even if you manage to hit a big hand, it's tougher to extract the maximum. If you decide to play them when you have an overpair, play them like they're as good an overpair as pocket aces. If you're going to checkraise, checkraise large. I'd at least raise it to $150. The checkraise play puts you in the driver's seat, so make sure you're telling the opponent "I have the better hand and if you call you're chasing and paying me off."

Still not too excited about posting strategy knowing people I play with probably read it. Maybe I'll get a new handle.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you decide to play them when you have an overpair, play them like they're as good an overpair as pocket aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Once your bet/raise gets called here, you aren't beating too many hands.

2. You cannot always make up your mind as to whether your pair is good in an instant.

3. Aces can often be played very differently to other overpairs postflop.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:32 AM

I don't mean to be blindly stuck to the hand as they were aces, but speaking more to not weakly checkraising. If you're going to play them as an overpair, play them confidently but be cognizant of being beat as well.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:18 AM

I agree with everyone that in retrospect I should have checkraised more if that was my plan. Now there's about 250 bucks in the pot, I have 500 behind me, and my opponent has me covered. I feel like any bet less than pot will not get a better hand to fold, and any bet more than the pot means I should go all in and hope that JJ/QQ/ whatever he holds will fold. Or alternatively I could become a weak/tight bitch and check the turn. Thanks for your flop suggestions- they were really helpful, but I'm still somewhat lost on the turn after my initial mangling.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:26 AM

I bet 200. If he calls, I think its safe to assume you are beat. My guess is he drops his AK.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:35 AM

What seat was the PFR? If he was middle or late position I would probably re-raise preflop.

Agree with the others regarding flop play.

Paul
Old 07-28-2004, 12:05 PM

I think he was around late MP- didn't look quite like stealing the blinds, but not the strength of early position raise.

Anyway, I totally agree with everyone that I messed up the flop checkraise, but given that problem, what would you do on the turn presuming you had jsut gone braindead on the flop?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:18 PM

I'd fire 200 on the turn and probably fold if he puts me in for the remaining 300. If he calls, then I hope for a Ten on the river.