Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: How do you guys go on such insane downswings?

[ QUOTE ]
One way is to flop a lot of sets that lose in very aggressive games.

[/ QUOTE ]

learn how to fill up, dummy.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Here\'s how.

[ QUOTE ]
My stats over 40K of 1/2 are 18.11/7.72/2.65.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, time to stop being defensive and, instead, to listen. Your results are lackluster, and people are telling you why, but you aren't listening.

You don't raise enough before the flop. 7.7% is not enough. Your PFR should be at least in the double digits. Why is this important? Two reasons:

1. You get value for your hand. Does raising preflop improve your chances to win after the flop. Perhaps sometimes, but often, no, it doesn't. What it does is increase the size of the pot. When you have a hand that will win more than its share of the time, that's a moneymaker.

These raises aren't "bluffs," and they aren't designed to push people off hands. They have nothing to do with 72o in MP3. They are "you suckers limp in with trash, so my hand is likely better than yours and so I raise" raises.

2. I sense you have a postflop problem that you mentioned in passing, but actually is bigger than you think. I think you are folding the best hand after the flop too often. When you limp in too much with quality hands, you'll encourage others to raise behind you with weaker hands because they will underestimate your strength. Then, if you automatically check-fold the flop when you miss, you've unwittingly turned their bummer of a hand into a winner. I think you are losing a lot of hands that look like this:

EP limps. You limp with A8s. Guy behind you raises KTo. Folded to EP who calls, you call. Flop comes J75. You check and fold.

Raising more often preflop helps reduce the number of times you make that error (and also gets your weak-tight opponents to make that error more often to boot).

Frankly, I think you are lying to yourself when you say you based your raising decisions on what's in SSH. I think you read that chart selectively, and, perhaps even subconsciously, backed off some of the more "dangerous" raises.

Quick raising quiz. Which of these hands would you raise?

1. Two players call to you on the button with QJs.

2. One player calls to you on the button with A9o.

3. Three players call, including the small blind. You have 99 in the big blind.

4. Button limps, small blind calls, and you have A7s in the big blind.

5. One player limps to you in MP with KJo.

6. One player limps. You have 77 in the SB.

Basically, you should be raising in all these spots. I doubt you can honestly say that you would, though.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:03 AM

nice response ed.

and i did say 'raise' to all i'm happy to report.

i was going to mention to guthrie that it's impossible t say which hands he should be raising from that list because we don't know how many (if any) limpers or raisers there are to him.
and to think that one could tell which hands should be raised just by looking at that list is actually indicative of a flawed approach in and of itself.

guthrie - as ed and others have mentioned. keep working on your game. keep reading and re-reading SSHE and the micro-forum.

another book I recommend (which Ed himself said he liked) is 'How good is your limit Hold-em' by Bryan Jacobs.
The quiz approach of 'play through the hand with me' may be exactly what you need imo.

as ed pointed out....there also seem to be some flaws to your ideas of why raising more of your hands is worthwhile.
if you are just sitting back and are afraid of one of those passive players beating you on the river because they never fold then you clearly have a lot in your game to work on.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's not just your pre-flop game that is suffering though.

and this situation points out exactly what I was referring to regsrding 'variance as an excuse'.
Here's yet another player who is saying, 'well...I couldn't have played it any better. But I just got really unlucky for a looooong stretch' when, in fact, that wasn't the case at all.
The player has leaks...he just didn't know they were that bad.

We know variance is there...so when we suffer it we blame that...because we sure don't want to blame ourselves.

For some reason I don't fall into this trap.
I could have the worst luck in the universe and have my AA cracked by 72o over and over again...and still I'm pointing the finger at myself and thinking 'I suck. I suck. I suck....All those other winning players at 2+2 are waaaaay better than me.'
I don't know why I always think this way. But I do.
(well...part of the reason I think this way is that it really is true to a certain degree. but it gets exaggerated in my head during my crappy streaks).
Old 11-28-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: How do you guys go on such insane downswings?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One way is to flop a lot of sets that lose in very aggressive games.

[/ QUOTE ]

learn how to fill up, dummy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like this?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If someone can tell me how expert play can somehow deliver me better starting hands, prevent miracle-card suckouts on the river, or occasionally make my flush in a big pot, I'd love to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well its a pretty easy answer, but I'm not sure you'll love to hear it. The expert play is to keep saddling up and playing a lot of hands expertly. The expert will sooner or later hit a long stretch where he doesn't get sucked out by miracle rivers, will more than occaissionally make his flush on the river, and will get better starting cards.

The expert play is to know this, stay off tilt, play the "A" game, and keep cranking out the hands.

--Zetack
Old 11-28-2005, 01:35 PM

Dude, 7% is still too low.

You have a leak. Its not raising enough. Its not our job to tell you every situation your are supposed to PFR. Post some hands where you think it might be kinda close preflop, and people will respond.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quick raising quiz. Which of these hands would you raise?

1. Two players call to you on the button with QJs.

2. One player calls to you on the button with A9o.

3. Three players call, including the small blind. You have 99 in the big blind.

4. Button limps, small blind calls, and you have A7s in the big blind.

5. One player limps to you in MP with KJo.

6. One player limps. You have 77 in the SB.

Basically, you should be raising in all these spots. I doubt you can honestly say that you would, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, just when I thought I had preflop down... To be fair, I was following the chart in SSH pretty closely and even the "loose" chart only suggests raising (1) and (3). A9o isn't even listed. I know people frown on following any chart, but it's really helped a beginner like me. Anyway, thanks, Ed, I'm really excited to start raising with these hands which have been giving me grief for some time.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Post some hands where you think it might be kinda close preflop, and I won't respond, but others will.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, 7% is still too low.

You have a leak. Its not raising enough. Its not our job to tell you every situation your are supposed to PFR. Post some hands where you think it might be kinda close preflop, and people will respond.

[/ QUOTE ]
I posted every hand from the last three positions from the session in question. I've repeatedly asked for people to tell me which of those hands should have been raised. Instead I get a continuous stream of "you should raise more preflop." Tell me which of those hands should have been raised preflop, and tell me how raising those hands would have changed a -50BB session into a profitable one.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...tell me how raising those hands would have changed a -50BB session into a profitable one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes my head hurt.