Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 07:42 AM

Default AQ I think something is up

Villain is a solid TAG, he's yet to flip over anything ridiculous. Anyone else do this differenty?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($43.85)
CO ($50)
Hero ($59)
SB ($36.95)
BB ($48.75)
UTG ($69)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $2.25, UTG folds, CO folds.

Flop: ($6.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, BB calls $4.

Turn: ($14.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($14.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Final Pot: $34.75
Old 05-20-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: AQ I think something is up

I can't see what you can beat on the river here, apart from a bluff on the flush? I think you've given the hand up by checking on the turn, that's when you need to decide if he's on a flush fraw or if he has you beaten etc.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 AM

Yea, I guess I should fold this river?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:48 AM

That's what I would do, but if this is a bluff it's one you left yourself open to by checking the turn as his actions could easily be those of someone with a flush draw.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:53 AM

I REALLY don't see how he could have a flush draw here. IF he does, what are his pocket cards, and why does he call on the flop?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Sorry I'm on this at work and didn't look at it properly, thought there were 2 spades on flop
Old 05-20-2005, 07:58 AM

Does look like it could be a bluff now, thinking about it, I still think a bet on the turn would have stopped you being in this situation though, maybe $7/8, then you can fold to a raise and fold to a river bet if it's called.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:19 AM

You're now behind every hand a TAG could call with out of the blinds except jacks and queens (unless he got frisky with some low pocket pair), but I still think you have to call the river after showing weakness on the turn.

If you wanna make it easier for yourself, bet the turn and fold to a c/r and check the river unimproved.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 AM

I don't see what betting the turn would accomplish here. A draw is very unlikely. Your hand is very borderline vs. a tag. There is a very high possibility he is looking for a check-raise. He is probably folding A J if he is tight. However, A J might bet the river.

You want a cheap show down. Betting the turn will not accomplish that.

I like your line all the way, although I would be quite certain I'm behind on the river. A fold is not bad. I don't think I would fold though getting 1:2.4.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:28 AM

Yeah, i am not sure what you plan to accomplish by checking that turn, especially if you plan to call a possibly dangerous river card. It seems like the check is the worst possible situation unless you have decided to give up the hand after the flop call and fold to any bet on the river without your hand improving.