Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Disappointment

MP1 is decent. A little loose preflop, but seems to make up for it postflop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

BB ($25)
UTG ($25)
UTG+1 ($20.35)
UTG+2 ($22)
MP1 ($32.01)
MP2 ($17.35)
Hero ($62.35)
CO ($17.5)
Button ($13.8)
SB ($129.93)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls $2.

Flop: ($6.35) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $24.35

I was very disappointed when he folded to my reraise. But I was afraid that he was trying to induce a slowplay, for a chance to bust me with a flush. Am I being paranoid? I gave him credit for knowing that I very well could have AA given the preflopaction.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Disappointment

Well he folded to a raise and not a reraise, and probably missed himself and was just trying to steal from a likely JJ-KK. If you did anything wrong, it was not raising enough to force a flush draw into a mistake.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:21 PM

I just don't like a min.raise. There is nothing wrong with raising, but if you do raise, make it a proper one. If he is on a draw, he is not folding to your min.raise.

He bet full pot (prizing himself out if he is drawing) so I'm inclined to just call here. Hopefully he has A K and will fire again on the turn. Otherwise, you have position and can bet. If the board flushes, carry on with caution.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't like a min.raise. There is nothing wrong with raising, but if you do raise, make it a proper one. If he is on a draw, he is not folding to your min.raise.

He bet full pot (prizing himself out if he is drawing) so I'm inclined to just call here. Hopefully he has A K and will fire again on the turn. Otherwise, you have position and can bet. If the board flushes, carry on with caution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right. The minraise was bad,
but I wanted it to look weak and make him think that I was overplaying KK or something.
And I wanted to send a message that he should forget about any freecards on the turn.
But I understand its not possible to combine, since he most likely calls with a flushdraw anyway.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:28 PM

I read a lot here that min-raises are always bad... but why is a min-raise against an in-attentive opponent bad? Most of the time, they read a min-raise as weakness rather than as strength- so you are not giving away any information (plus, most people hardly ever fold to a min raise). Unless I am afraid of the re-raise, and I got a very very strong hand, I dont see whats wrong with min-raising to build the pot.