Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Bad Laydown?

NLHE 6 handed, .50c $1.00 blinds

There is no cap on the buy in. Villan runs the game and usually deals, but will sit down if there is an open seat. He sits down with about $1500 in front of him. He is agressive preflop but a lot of times will slow down after the flop.

Hero is considered the tightest player at the table and usually shown respect.

Villan raises to 6$ in the cutoff.
Hero has about $425 and calls on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Villan bets $7, Hero raises to $25, Villan hesitates for about 5 seconds and makes it $150 to go.

Hero?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Bad Laydown?

With no reads, I call here and try to get it all in on later streets. With your reads, you're pretty likely to be outkicked. Assuming it was folded to him in the cutoff, and he's aggressive preflop, he could raise with a large range of hands, including AT, KT, QT.

The board pairs on the flop. He makes a continuation bet, and gets raised by the tightest player at the table. It's pretty obvious you have a T. You say he can slow down postflop, but he doesn't here. What's he got?

It comes down to the meta-game. Does he take advantage of your tightness and bully you a lot? Have you shown big laydowns in the past? If the answer to both is no, then I think it's a fold.

You should also consider that you will lose more to AT than you will win against, say, KK. If he has KK and you call or raise, he'll shut down. You win $150. If he has AT and you call, he'll put you all in later on. You lose $425.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:33 PM

Hero couldn't be raising here with a flush draw, or bluff-raising to represent the T? If vilian could attach either of these stories to villian's raise then he could be making a rebluff with his pocket pair/high cards/ or whatever. I definitely call here (pretty quickly) and get my read on villian on the turn after you see his action. You're in position and have alot more money in your stack. Folding is out of the question on the flop. If he sets you in on the turn, then think about laying it down.

Pushing here is pretty stupid here for obvious reasons.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:20 PM

Don't call a big raise with J T o . I hate JT o .
Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NLHE 6 handed, .50c $1.00 blinds

There is no cap on the buy in. Villan runs the game and usually deals, but will sit down if there is an open seat. He sits down with about $1500 in front of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would anyone play in this structure? No cap buy-in? Way too easy for someone to sit down with a giant stack and just dominate, no?

[ QUOTE ]

Villan raises to 6$ in the cutoff.
Hero has about $425 and calls on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Villan bets $7, Hero raises to $25, Villan hesitates for about 5 seconds and makes it $150 to go.

Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

So he raised pre-flop, what do you put him on? AT? A big pocket pair? Certainly not 44 though ...

Me, I'm probably shoving all my money with this one. I'm putting him on AK or AQ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s or something. You do have the odds to call in that case ...
Old 04-27-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't call a big raise with JTo . I hate JTo .

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you're right, he should have reraised preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seriously, you wouldn't call < 1.5% of your stack with JTo? You ARE tight.

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing here is pretty stupid here for obvious reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree more.

I think that, if you decide to play on, you do it by calling and plan to call it down, hoping he is either bluffing or overplaying T9 or QQ, or maybe you will chop. Betting/raising serves no purpose but to let him get away if he is behind, and let him clean you out if he is ahead. If you do not plan to call him down, fold now, but chuckle as if you were just bluffing the T and got caught speeding. Do NOT let him know you folded trips.

The criteria for playing on is this: If you have made some tough laydowns, and/or if you have seen him make some pretty substantial bluffs of this type, plan on calling it down. Also, if you have been caught bluffing like this in the past, then you might consider it. But mostly, I think, lay it down. You've told him exactly what you have, and he has said that he doesn't fear you.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero couldn't be raising here with a flush draw, or bluff-raising to represent the T?

[/ QUOTE ]
He could be, it depends on what OP meant by the tightest player at the table. Does that mean basically nut peddling, or just strict starting hand requirements and no naked bluffs? If hero has been making semi-bluffs and calling down with less than the nuts, I'm more inclined to see the raise as a resteal.

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely call here (pretty quickly) and get my read on villian on the turn after you see his action. You're in position and have alot more money in your stack. Folding is out of the question on the flop. If he sets you in on the turn, then think about laying it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, say the turn is 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He pushes. You'd fold? He checks, you'd push? I think you need to figure out the rest of your plan for the hand before you call. He could easily check with AT to let you hang yourself on your weaker T. Say you check behind on the turn, and he pushes on the river. As I said before, I think he's not too likely to bet again without trips or better. Still, you'll be getting 2:1, and he might put you on a busted flush draw, so the call or fold to his push is close. Bottom line: if you call the flop, you're playing for your stack.

This play is entirely dependant on the relative skill and aggression of hero and villian in the past.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Results

I folded, and Villan didn't show. He claimed to have 10 7o.

It didn't bother me at the time but the more i think about it the more it bugs me.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I folded, and Villan didn't show. He claimed to have 10 7o.

It didn't bother me at the time but the more i think about it the more it bugs me.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont worry, rabbit cam showed river was a 7 anyway...