Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 09:02 PM

Default What do to with people who play back at you all the time?

I have been making a killing at my homegame until recently, when a couple of people have started to play back at my flop raises a lot. I have to say, this gets me off of my game. In a normal game, i will bet 3/4 of the pot in situations when i am betting the flop (that is, if am the original raiser, or i hit top pair, or i am in position for a blush/semi-bluff). Normally, when someone plays back at me, and I only have top pair or it was a semi-bluff i will count up my odds, assuming the other person has a real good hand.

Problem in the last two sessions, i have been played back at so much, that I dont know what to do. Since the stack sizes are usually around 50 dollars, and the 3/4 of the pot bet is something like 4 dollars, and the play back at me is usually about 10 dollars total, it gets very expensive to try to figure out when they are bluffing me, or if my top pair, good kicker is still good. It also makes any attempt to use position to steal pots rather expensive and less sucessful. Should i change my game and the flop less? But then I would be going back to my tight play that i have gotten myself out of to become a profitable player over the last couple of months. Let me know your thoughts on what you would do in this situation.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: What do to with people who play back at you all the time?

Good question. I don't have the answer but I'd like to hear the same thing. I get played back at all damn day. Sometimes I call and sometimes I fold. I rarely reraise. BUT, I have no idea so I'd like to hear it.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:59 PM

You say that switching from TAG to semi-LAG has made you more profitable. This makes me think that your opponents were playing weak tight and therefore you were profitably pushing them around. Now they're playing LAG so it's just turning into a LAG fest. Once they've started to play back at you, tighten up, so that it doesn't matter if they're bluffing, because you'll usually have the goods. Make continuation bets with nothing less often (don't stop completely thought) and take free/cheap cards on your draws. Sudddenly when they play back you'll almost always have a good hand.

This all assumes that your opponents are still bad, just bad in a different way than you're used to. If they actually got good then you'll have to play poker against them and not just play a standard style.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:00 PM

Play some 2+2 games and practice playing against this style.

(All-in with any two)
Old 04-23-2005, 03:25 AM

Switch to TAG or start pushing all-in.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Switch to TAG or start pushing all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

I had the same problem in my home game. Stacking them off with the nuts a couple times will probably push them back into weak-tight land.