Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 AM

Default What to do...

Button is a very loose pre-flop player who will call with anything and raise with marginal hands (J10 or better is usually a raise). BB is a tighish calling station, who is usually pretty bad, but has been playing pretty well tonight, as far as i can tell (he beat me in the finals of our tourney before this cash game, and he played the heads up very nicely). Blinds are .25/.50 and 2 dollar has been my standard raise all night. The table is now 6 people.

Hero is in CO with 55 dollars
Button has 20 dollars
BB has 100 (thanks to me taking money from other players and giving it to him all night).

I get K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I give it my standard raise to 2 dollars- button min. raises to 4 dollars, BB calls, I call.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB leads out for 5 dollars, HERO ???

I know I will be told "fold pre-flop", but given how loose this game is pre-flop, and how bad most of these guys are post-flop, I play these kinds of hands this way for EV+ most of the time. So anyway, you can tell me to "fold pre-flop" but I am mostly interested in the post-flop move. Is calling just stupid, and i should either re-raise to see where I am at or fold? I havent seen this guy lead out all night, but his bet is less than half the pot...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: What to do...

Raise. If you're going to play a hand like this short handed, then I would think you should assume your TPWK is good until you find out otherwise. To find out, raise to $20, but then don't put another penny in for the rest of the hand. If he calls or reraises, then assume you're beaten. I would also think that if you don't like paying that much for information, then don't play KJo preflop. Of course, I only play full ring games because I like to avoid situations like this. Anyone that plays 6-max agree that this is raise?

The only reason I could think of for folding is your stack size. It's kind of small for betting $20 in this situation. I still think you raise, then fold to any play-back from villain, and rebuy as soon as you fold.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:08 PM

The thing with playing KJ in this game, is that it is often the best hand, and a lot of times people will be playing K6, k7 and pay you off all the way down. Any more thoughts on this?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:16 PM

Have you seen button min-raise before? I think I would either flat-call or fold. You don't need to raise to find out where you are.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:17 PM

Shorthanded, he could be betting anything. 99, TJ, K6. I would just call here and see what button does. If button pushes and BB calls, I fold. If button pushes and BB folds, I might call.

If button just calls, play some poker on the turn.