Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Default how long before the next limit?

Generally, how many hands do you guys feel you need to play as a winner before jumping up a limit?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: how long before the next limit?

It's a two part answer

1. Enough hands to prove you are a winner are limit X before going to X+1

2. Enough hands to build an adequate bankroll for X+1.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:15 PM

Move up?

I'm supposed to move up?

Honestly, I've been playing $2/4 and $3/6 for as long as I've been playing seriously. I win at those limits, and am a little worried that I won't win higher.

I play best when even a horrid loss won't keep me up at night.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a two part answer

[/ QUOTE ]

Add for those of us with day jobs:

3. You feel like taking a shot and wouldn't be putting yourself in serious financial jeopardy by doing so. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a two part answer

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured as much, but how many hands is enough? 5k? 10k? 100k?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:25 AM

I'm in a situation like you, although I doubt I've been there as long. I remember making the big jump to 2/4 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. Dropping $150 in night was a really big deal. Since then my financial situation has not changed; however dropping $150 in night no longer bothers me. I bet if I played 5/10 regularly dropping whatever 5/10 players lose when they run bad wouldn't bother me either. I guess it's just a matter of getting broken in.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:34 AM

Ive been running real well after 10k hands at my limit, I just want to see if theres a concensus on how long one should play before heading up.. I'm rolled for 5/10 now as well so that's not really an issue
Old 12-19-2005, 02:50 AM

How long have you been playing? I have logged less than 20K hands online over the course of a YEAR because most of my play is in B&Ms. I don't know exactly how many hands I've played at every given limit and I really don't care, I've been examining my play continually the entire time.

By the time I'd been playing for five months or so, I kind of got to the point where I can "feel" if I'm beating a game or not. The first time I took a shot at 30/3 SNGs, I cashed in the first four or five in a row but realized it was dumb luck (as I was making some big mistakes/getting in situations where I wasn't sure what to do) and dropped back down/went back to focusing on limit for awhile. This month I took a shot at 50/5's, dropped what I admit is a little more money than I was completely comfortable losing in the beginning but was able to say things like, "Well, you pushed all-in into a player you had read as weak-tight who suddenly lost his mind and made a call that was -EV according to ICM even if I was pushing any two cards." Even if you could argue that it was my read that was incorrect, it's through analysis like this that I feel I can tell the difference between bad luck and inadequate play at the new limit for the most part, and I'm willing to drop down either way if the losses get too heavy.

I don't think it's necessary to say "You need n number of hands to move up," as long as you can objectively examine your game at all times and move down if you think you're faltering. If you don't have that kind of self-awareness that's different, but even in that case there's no "magic number" involved, and I'd still say the answer is "If you feel like moving up and you're bankrolled for it, go ahead and take a small shot regardless of hands played and see how you feel about it, and move down if you have an early losing streak." There's nothing wrong with trying to move up, giving up, then trying again a couple months later until you get the hang of it. Or if you multitable you could use the 1xtable at new limit, several tables at old limit so you can try it without hurting yourself too bad (because your wins at your safe limit subsidize your losses at the new limit).

EDIT: All my talk of self-evaluation made me think of this post, as the questions I ask myself before a move-up are similar to the questions I ask whether I should stay in a game; although "What should I do? I'm not sure." moments do count toward whether I think I'm ready for that limit yet or not.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a two part answer

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured as much, but how many hands is enough? 5k? 10k? 100k?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO there isin't a number...if you play 10K hands and are up a bit, but took a ridiculus number of bad beats and feel u are dominating your oppoenents moving up is ok.

PS you have to be stone cold honest w/ urself and know strategy well here or else u go broke.

If you want a pretty acurate mathamatical representation of if you should move up it is probably around 50-100K hands, but often people should move up by the other system 1st IMO.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:28 PM

i move up when i have 225bb for the next limit and move down when i get to 200