Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: PC-ness has replaced logic & reasoning.

"There's no genetic obstacle preventing a black person from winning the Nobel prize in physics"

Prove this. You can not.

How bout this one: Women are tiny % Nobel science prize winners proportionally as compared to men.

How bout this one: Blacks are tiny % Nobel science prize winners proportionally as compared to other races.

Race matters. All the 'social construct' BS is salve for the PC crowd and the race hustlers like Cornell West and Jesse Jackson. The day when we again are able to admit that race matters will be the day that racial tension begins to ebb and many currently intractable, socially poisonous problems will begin to be solved.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:51 AM

Your mom's joke was untasteful, and even more egregious, not funny. At all.

[ QUOTE ]
OK, but the real question is: which racial group is the best at swinging from trees?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny.

[ QUOTE ]
“I think it has something to do with the jungle.”

[/ QUOTE ]
I fail to see the hilarity in this, and I believe most people would agree with me.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your mom's joke was untasteful, and even more egregious, not funny. At all.

[ QUOTE ]
OK, but the real question is: which racial group is the best at swinging from trees?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny.

[ QUOTE ]
“I think it has something to do with the jungle.”

[/ QUOTE ]
I fail to see the hilarity in this, and I believe most people would agree with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn’t a joke. It was a simpler way of saying “certain groups of people have a genetic predisposition to excel in certain areas because of the environment of their ancestors”, as was already discussed. The fact that you have to go through that much extreme measures to choose your words is why I think the PC police have gotten a little idiotic. There is some debate as to whether it is an “accurate” statement or not, and some nitpicking over what % of Africa is actually “jungle.” There was a valid point made that in some circles, terms like “jungle monkey” have been used to degrade black people. This wasn’t the case, although I already conceded that I understand the conclusion that people would make because of the history.

The PC police apparently need a dictionary, cause they have forgotten what racism is...
Racism: An excessive and irrational belief in or advocacy of the superiority of a given group, people, or nation, on racial grounds alone; race hatred.

This was not racism.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:33 AM

Yes I think the joke was as bad as in jail when some white guys used to call Basketball "Tree Hockey" and the other white guys would laugh just terrible!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:22 AM

For those who believe that most American blacks are stronger, more athletic and so on due to good genes is it reaonable to conclude that this could be due to the manner in which many of their ancestors got here?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"There's no genetic obstacle preventing a black person from winning the Nobel prize in physics"

Prove this. You can not.

How bout this one: Women are tiny % Nobel science prize winners proportionally as compared to men.

How bout this one: Blacks are tiny % Nobel science prize winners proportionally as compared to other races.

Race matters. All the 'social construct' BS is salve for the PC crowd and the race hustlers like Cornell West and Jesse Jackson. The day when we again are able to admit that race matters will be the day that racial tension begins to ebb and many currently intractable, socially poisonous problems will begin to be solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the history of the very notion of race and it quickly becomes clear that the very notion of race began as a means to belittle people that looked different from colonial aggressors which facilitated taking from the belittled people land and other resources. Every genetic difference was found (e.g., Tay Sachs, sickle cell trait) after the fact among individuals with shared ancestry. The only thing that's changed is that there is now some history of the notion of race (giving the idea some specious validity) and that colonialism has changed form in many places, often into the form of domestic neocolonialism.

There is not one single piece of evidence that race exists and that genetic differences in intellectual ability are related to something that actually may have meaning in genetic terms, shared ancenstry. I challenge you to provide even one article from a peer reviewed, reputable, scientific journal with a convincing study to contradict my claim. Don't bother with some cheap pseudoscientific (correlative) study.

You merely choose to interpret available studies to reinforce your racism.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is not one single piece of scientific evidence that race exists and that genetic differences in intellectual ability are related to something that actually may have meaning in genetic terms, shared ancenstry.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is correct, and beyond debate at present. Sorry to interrupt but it needed to be said.

And yet I still make my point. So what is it that I'm saying?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 PM

Thank you Ben [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I wanted to say something, but I didn't feel it was worth arguing with him
Old 12-27-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I challenge you to provide even one article from a peer reviewed, reputable, scientific journal with a convincing study to contradict my claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a reasonable request if the following statement by the Unabomber (from his manifesto )weren't obviously true:

[ QUOTE ]
12. Those who are most sensitive about "politically incorrect" terminology are not the average black ghetto-dweller, Asian immigrant, abused woman or disabled person, but a minority of activists, many of whom do not even belong to any "oppressed" group but come from privileged strata of society. Political correctness has its stronghold among university professors, who have secure employment with comfortable salaries, and the majority of whom are heterosexual, white males from middle-class families.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because a series of observations hasn't been formally recorded and verified (by people who are biased in the direction of where their funding comes from) doesn't mean they are not correct. Perhaps it means it does not constitute any sort of proof , but if you can rise above all the mistrust and paranoia and try to figure out what makes the other guy tick, you can learn a lot by listening to his observations about the world.

Maybe he's got an agenda. Maybe you do too. Maybe not. One thing's for certain, though -- universities (and other bodies sanctioning official studies) definitely do and it's in the direction of political correctness.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:54 PM

We're JUST arguing that the apparent prevalence of athletic prowess in blacks is not based on evolution from jungle survival.

That's it.

No PC bullcrap.

I'd at this point like to address this steaming pile of literary defecation that FIFish pointed out:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What socially poisonous problems will be solved? The problems that right-wingers complain about (affirmative action, etc) come about BECAUSE race is entered as a factor.