Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Two computer problems

1. My laptop (Dell insirion 9100) has a really loud fan on it. I want to play poker on my computer in class, but the fan is loud enough that its a disturbance to the class. Is there any way to make it quieter, dlean it maybe? Or to disable it altogether (temporily).

2. I have 2 dell 2001fp monitors hooked up to this laptop, and it tends to lag a little bit when I have a lot of stuff runing, namely 8 tables of poker. Would more memory solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Two computer problems

1. Most laptopfans are loud. Try to buy a more quiet fan and install that.

2. Well, we don't know how much memory you have for starters. Neither do we know what cpu you got.

What is the point of playing in class? Skip class and play home instead or before/after school.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Most laptopfans are loud. Try to buy a more quiet fan and install that.

2. Well, we don't know how much memory you have for starters. Neither do we know what cpu you got.

What is the point of playing in class? Skip class and play home instead or before/after school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 512mb of ram. and a pentium 4 3.2 ghz processor.

the class i want to play in is 3 hrs long and i am required to be there.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:11 AM

What you got should be enough. Make a perm swapfile, turn off all antivirus and oter crap running in the background. Also make sure you got latest drivers of everything.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:23 AM

Dells has a variable speed fan that run at max (loud) when the temp is way too high (ie u r blocking the fan flow or it is massivly dusty) or when the CPU is running at above ~50% for a sustained period, or when the HD is getting hit over and over. (not enuf ram for all the proggies open... or a massivly FRAGMENTED HDD/swap file can be to blame)

Other replier is correct to suspect spyware/an active antivirus scanner, P2P or some other resource intensive process running in the background. Defragment, and check out the status of ur swap file. Diskeeper is better than the Windows defragger.

Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:25 AM

Hey Mind isn't that a pic of CF after a tourney win?
Old 09-20-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dells has a variable speed fan that run at max (loud) when the temp is way too high (ie u r blocking the fan flow or it is massivly dusty) or when the CPU is running at above ~50% for a sustained period, or when the HD is getting hit over and over. (not enuf ram for all the proggies open... or a massivly FRAGMENTED HDD/swap file can be to blame)

Other replier is correct to suspect spyware/an active antivirus scanner, P2P or some other resource intensive process running in the background. Defragment, and check out the status of ur swap file. Diskeeper is better than the Windows defragger.

Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that fan runs pretty much whenever i have more than like 2 things running. my computer does also tend to get really hot. i guess ill check for dust/blockage. thanks.

edit-wow, the entire back of my computer is like insanely hot, like almost to the point where it feels like it will burn me. (by back, i mean the part wehre everything gets plugged in, not the back of the LCD because the LCD is constantly closed due to having 2 external monitors.)