Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 03:24 PM

Default A small pair on the bubble

$10+1 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t2360)
SB (t2015)
BB (t2275)
UTG (t1350)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="Blue">Hero ??? </font>

So, what do you do with small pairs in situations like this?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: A small pair on the bubble

I fold and wait for a better spot. When you get called by either of the two players who can (de facto) bust you, you're at best a coinflip and at worst a 4:1 dog.

This "better spot" may also entail waiting for that short stack to bust. You shouldn't just try to sneak in (you're still certainly going to push AQ+ and TT+ in this situation), but you shouldn't run such a big risk here.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:50 PM

I just call those hands. I prefer to play those hands subtly hoping for a gamebreaking flop like a AK3rainbow or something

EDIT: Didn't realize you were on the button, but I still play that hand if you can pay regular price for it. Is the BB known to attempt steals? I'd take that into consideration with that hand.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:05 PM

Wouldn't want you to get only 2 of the 4 possible responses. I think that most people play way too tight at this point in the sit n goes so I make my standard 3X raise to 600. This will usually be enough to get the blind to fold and, if one comes over the top you can get away if that seems to be the thing to do. Should a blind or two just limp, you have position and an opportunity to out play or out flop them.